Got a big project to rename 20-30K karaoke music files.

Javascript renaming examples. Javascript renaming is supported in version 3 or newer.

Got a big project to rename 20-30K karaoke music files.

Postby JustinC7 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:41 am

I know vba programming with excel, and ahk scripts, so I am familiar with the basics of programming, but I've never worked with javascript before. I'm going to explain the details of my project below so I can be pointed in the right direction. Not asking anyone here to do the work for me because it is a big project. It's just that having a big prokect like this, and being unfamiliar with javascript, and slightly noob(ish) to this program, I just need help on where to begin, and from there I can learn along the way. I tend to pick things up fast once I get the gist of things. I'm going to bold the key points in this post so save time for the TL;DR crowd, but I'll also explain things in detail in case someone sees a better solution or approach than what I've come what I've come up with.

What I'm working on is a favor for a good friend of mine who is a Karaoke DJ, and he needs his files organized and properly named so his new software will properly identify and play them. Ordinary music
file tagging utilities won't recognize karaoke songs. I've tried many many programs, and this I feel is the best solution.

As you can see in this screenshot, the files are in complete disarray. They lack convention in their names (title/artist, artist/title) some are identified by their parent directory, some are not, and I have about 20-30,000 or so files to go through. So in otherwords, It's a huge mess, lol. Since the artist/title naming is a such a disaster, I've decided to use the disk ID# (highlighted in the screenshot) which references to the manufacturer to identify the songs, and reference a csv or text file that contains the artist title info based on the disc ID. Currently, I'm working on the reference sheet in excel which is a sub-project in of istelf, but nothing I can't handle. Once that's finished, I should be able to write a vb script to format the data in a way that BRU can utilize.

For reference: BL07-01 = DISC ID from manufacturer Legends Series
Manic Monday = Title
The Bangles = Artist

• Go through each file in each directory and tag the files with their filepath under comments so that information isn't lost. This is in case I make a mistake because some files are identified only by their parent folder.
  • For all the fileames that contain their DISC ID#: I'll trim the filenames down to just their DISC ID# so they be named something like "BL07-01.mp3".
  • For all the filnames that DO NOT contain their DISC ID#: I'll identify the DISC ID# through other means and rename the file accordingly. Then follow the steps in Part A.
  • The files for which I cannot Identify the DISC ID#: I'll retain the filename and assign a prefix that identifies the manufacturer (ie Legends Series = "BL####-##"original filename".mp3"). Then follow the steps in Part B.
  • Move and sort the files into sub directories based on their manufacturer (i.e. BL07-01 = Legends Series / BL####-XX = Legends Series)

Part A: Files that contain the DISC ID# within their filename
  • Go through each manufacturer folder, and with the help of a script (containing all of the known DISC IDs for that manufacturer and their respective artist and song titles) rename the files to this format "DISC ID# - Arist - Title.mp3". Duplicates will be appended accordingly
  • Tag the files based on the file name and manufacturer sub directory (ie = Artist= The Bangles; Title= Manic Monday Album=Legends Series)
  • Manually tag any remaining files and place all completed files into a single folder for all mp3 files.

Part B: Files that do not contain DISC ID# but do contain Artist and Song title.
  • Format the filenames to a standard "Artist - Title.mp3" format. This will be a semi-manual process
  • Go through each manufacturer folder, and with the help of a script (containing DISC IDs, artist and song title) append the DISC ID# as a prefix to each filename so they will be uniform with the other processed files.
  • Tag the files based on the file name and manufacturer sub directory (ie = Artist= The Bangles; Title= Manic Monday Album=Legends Series)
  • Manually tag any remaining files and place all completed files into a single folder for all mp3 files.

Thanks in advance. Just need someone to help me get started. Some good tutorials to look at on how javascript applies to BRU is all I need. And of course if someone sees flaws in my thinking or places where I could save time, please point them out.
JustinC7

Re: Got a big project to rename 20-30K karaoke music files.

Postby borgo » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:03 pm

I have many karaoke files too. do you succeed in what you where trying to do ?
borgo

Return to Javascript Renaming