Changing filenames (and details) according to a list...

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Changing filenames (and details) according to a list...

Postby TopherPUSA » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:24 am

(If this is already possible, please let me know how I can use it...)

My suggestion is....

When I have a list of file names, let's say 951 words long, and I have a folder with 951 files in it... I should be able to use an operation of BRU where I can input the list and let it rename all of the files according to the corresponding names in the list.
Line one = first file in folder
500th line = 500th file in folder
951st line = 951st file in folder

Complications, Things to consider and address,
If there were lines of the list that were left blank, the filename would remain the way it was.
If there was a character than cannot be put into filenames, the filename would remain the same.
If there is are two or three or more lines which are the same, the latter filenames being renamed would contain a (2) or (3) or (4)... etc.

I suggest this implementation considering that it would most simply be used in conjunction with MS Excel or Notepad because they can distinctly list the desired filenames.

This is why I suggest it...
I have recorded and am still recording every word in the dictionary on 1 second MP3's. I want to name each file according to the word which that recording states. That's A LOT of words and A LOT of filenames and I want to rename them quick and easy. I have them sorted into hundreds of different folders where each folder contains hundreds or thousands of words.
I already have the lists made up which apply adjacently to all the files in each folder.
There may be a way to do this using Excel VBA but I've searched for a way to do it and have found nothing.

In addition to that, I would like to be able to apply file details to each file.
Details like - TITLE, CONTRIBUTING ARTISTS, ALBUM, GENRE, ALBUM ARTIST, CATEGORIES, COMMENTS, COMPOSERS, DESCRIPTIONS, TYPE (Basically any additional, editable, file detail that is offered in Windows 7, I would like to be able to change the attributes according to a list that I have available or can develop at will.)
For the purpose of my word recordings, one way I would use the additional file details is to classify attributes of each word. For Instance - 1) if it is a noun, adjective, adverb, proper name, place, etc. 2) What each word end with... icity, ation, able, ary, ent, ic, ism, etc. 3) how many syllable each word has. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 etc. 4) If it is a route word, contains a prefix, suffix, or both, etc. 5) Where the words came from
There may be other details I'd like to apply to each file as well. Keeping in mind that not all of the files will certainly have details to apply, so when their details are inserted, if it is blank in the list, to leave it blank in the file detail.
Why this is effective.... This will help because then I can sort the words in iTunes, WMP, or any music player according to the suffixes, or number of syllables, etc.

Thanks for any input!
TopherPUSA

Return to Suggestions