how's about adding "last accessed" date change

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

how's about adding "last accessed" date change

Postby BRUFolio » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:34 pm

The new date changing ability is great.
But, why stop there? why not add "last accessed" date change.

Why would we want this?

Because we like to change the date of files immediately before burning our CDs/DVDs that we send to replication. This way, ALL dates of each file match on the disc itself.

Also, how about being able to select files and ONLY changing their dates and attributes WITHOUT having to rename them.

We often have differing renaming needs for various catagories of files and once we have performed the varied renaming ops, THEN, we would like to set the attributes and all three file dates and timestamps just before burning that last master CD or DVD.
BRUFolio

Postby Admin » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:06 pm

Hi,

Last Accessed is usually a useless date. For example, any system which has a virus scanner installed will almost always update the "last accessed date". On my system (XP Pro, NTFS), I can right-click *any* file, and the "Last Accessed" time will always show the current time.

Similarly, if I right-click a file on a CD-R, there is no last-accessed date, it's always blank.

On your other peoints, I have deliberately tied the Date and Attributes functionality into the Rename logic. It would be relatively simple to change - but this is a renaming application! The primary purpose of this software is for renaming files; anything else (like attributes and timestamps) is secondary.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby BRUFolio » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:52 pm

On our replicated DVDs the Last Accessed Date shows just fine as long as the user has it selected to display in Explorer. Also shows when right-clicking and showing "Properties",,,

this is an image of my Win Explorer window displaying the replicated DVD:
http://fyad.org/c3nb

When I rename a file using the Auto-Date function, AND, I have the change date checked, it grabs the old date and not the new date to throw into the filename. So,,, IF I could change the date first, then go back and do the auto-date, it will work as expected.

I understand it is primarily a renaming app, and the best i have ever seen too. But, there are cases where we cannot rename all our files at one time as we need to apply different renaming conventions to different sets of files. and we may do this over a several week period. THEN, when we are finished, we are ready to select a date/time for our "release" and then we simply wish to set the date/time of all the files to go onto the disc without needing any subsequent renaming...

OR, can you tell me how to select several files, and effect a filename change that will not change anything, to effect the date-time change i desire...?
I suppose using regular expression period (.) and replacing with that variable?

I have a time-date-stamp changing utility that I like, but if this could be done in BRU, the old date-stamp utility goes into the dust-bin,,,
BRUFolio

Postby Admin » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:14 pm

Hi,

Yes good point, it's the old date which goes into the naming method. I'll need to get that addressed for the next release.
What I'll probably do is add two new values to the dropdown, allowing the user the choice.

I'll look into changing the "must rename" logic.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby BRUFolio » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:30 pm

Jim,

also, the "New Name" column dynamically displays what the new name will be if the "rename" button is pressed -- how about having the columns for "Created" "Modified" "Last Accessed" and "Attributes" dynamically display in green text as well -- how those attributes will be changed with the user's current selections...

If a user wished to auto-date with the old date, and then change the date to a new date, it could be done in two steps, auto-date first, then, change the date to new date,,, then, a user could re-auto-date with the new date, leaving both dates in the filename ----- this could come in handy.

This could be a typical filename that was autodated, then the date changed and again autodated with the new date using a custom string each time to enter the "_initial date_" and "_updated date_" strings:

filename is this string right here_initial date_060102_updated on_060328_.txt
BRUFolio

Postby Admin » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:22 pm

Hi,

I've updated the website beta. If the date stamp (Created or Modified) is being changed ona file then that field will be highlighted.

I have still to do the same for the Attributes bit.

Also, there's new values in the Date dropdown now, you can choose the Current or the New dates for the Autodate feature.

Feedback welcome. I've rushed this change through, so there might be a bug or two.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Observations with latest beta 3-28-2006

Postby BRUFolio » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:18 pm

If I check "No Change" to the new file/folder timestamp dialog, but select "Creation (new)" on the auto-date to be thrown into the filename, the New Name preview column displays the new date/time i have set in the new file/folder timestamp dialog, even though i am not going to change the date/time...

When i go ahead and rename ---- the new date-stamp is inserted into the filename but the date was correctly not changed, per the dialog setting.

I would expect, instead, that when "creation new" or "modified new" is selected, but the actual options dialog has "No Change" selected, the preview and actual should still show the current date/time,,,,

Or, perhaps the "Creation (new)" would be greyed out when the date will not be changed,,,?

I know it gets sticky and many times you have to make a judgement call on what to display and when, but i would think that any time either the new file/folder timestamp dialog is changed or the auto date options are changed that everything would get refreshed after each action, perhaps at each mouse-button-up event?
BRUFolio

Return to Suggestions