Rename files as it finds them and Suppress Error messages

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Rename files as it finds them and Suppress Error messages

Postby Gearshock » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:04 pm

I've been working with a massive list of over 300'000 filenames (most of which need altering in some way). Sadly BRU chokes if I try to do more than about 1000. This has left me rescanning multiple times on multiple folders and is almost defeating the purpose of the program. Granted it would take me an eon to go through those entries manually, but having to babysit the program because it chokes with too much on its plate is quite irritating as well. I also quite often ran into a curious error that would say it couldn't find the specified file. This also only really happened if I got over a few hundred in a scan, leading every folder needing to be rescanned to verify the process had been cleaned. Both times I was Replacing " & " with "_". e.g."File & Name" would become "File_Name"

So in order to alleviate those issues, if the program had an option to rename as it goes, that would be grand. And also if there was a way to suppress the bloody error messages that constantly demanded my attention like a petulant child; perhaps in a kind of "yes to all errors like this" manner with maybe an error ticker in the bottom right or something so you have an idea how many errors you are getting. Anyways, just my thoughts on the program. All in all I really do love it, but those couple things have made this process of mine drag on for several days when it should've been knocked out in a half day. Thanks for reading and I hope that this helps make an already good product better. :)
Gearshock

Re: Rename files as it finds them and Suppress Error messages

Postby Stefan » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:37 am

Gearshock wrote:I've been working with a massive list of over 300'000 filenames (most of which need altering in some way).

Sadly BRU chokes if I try to do more than about 1000.

This has left me rescanning multiple times on multiple folders and is almost defeating the purpose of the program.
Granted it would take me an eon to go through those entries manually, but having to babysit the program because it
chokes with too much on its plate is quite irritating as well.

I also quite often ran into a curious error that would say it couldn't find the specified file.
This also only really happened if I got over a few hundred in a scan, leading every folder
needing to be rescanned to verify the process had been cleaned.
Both times I was Replacing " & " with "_". e.g."File & Name" would become "File_Name"

So in order to alleviate those issues, if the program had an option to rename as it goes, that would be grand.

And also if there was a way to suppress the bloody error messages that constantly demanded my attention
like a petulant child; perhaps in a kind of "yes to all errors like this" manner with maybe an error ticker in
the bottom right or something so you have an idea how many errors you are getting.

Anyways, just my thoughts on the program.

All in all I really do love it, but those couple things have made this process of mine drag on for several days when it should've been knocked out in a half day.

Thanks for reading and I hope that this helps make an already good product better. :)

Stefan

Return to Suggestions