Alpha ONLY numbering

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Alpha ONLY numbering

Postby nickjohnson » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:05 pm

Currently, Windows XP does not sort Base 16 Hex (0-F) or Base 36 (0-Z) properly. It wants to put A before 0, which really messes up hex.

I want to do letters only, A-Z. That gives 17576 with a 3 character Base 26 (alpha only) numbering scheme, vs 1000 with base 10, the highest thing that sorts correctly.

Also, I want to choose between upper and lowecase. On the latest stable release it seems when I do base 36 it gives me lowercase letters only.

Is this doable?

-Nick
nickjohnson

Postby Admin » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:13 pm

Hi Nick,

The current version appends the digits in lower-case. However that will be changing in the next release as, strictly speaking, it should be upper case.

To change the XP-style sorting why not just remove it?

Start, run, regedit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Policies\Explorer

Add a new DWORD (value = 1) called NoStrCmpLogical

That will revert XP back to pre-XP sorting.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby nickjohnson » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:50 pm

Strangely, I didn't think that would work but I don't know why.

It did.

:P

Any way I can be on some updated versions email list so I can know when the Captial letters thing gets fixed. What really bothers me is I had an older version on my system which I overwrote and can't find the old installer. The old version handled the caps fine.

Thanks for the help so far.

-Nick
nickjohnson

Postby Admin » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:54 pm

I used to have a mailing list, but it became a pain to maintain so I got rid of it. I always announce new releases on the Announcements forum and on the front page news.
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions