Using EXIF fields for Renaming

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Using EXIF fields for Renaming

Postby 21st Hermit » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:35 pm

This feature may already exist, don't know. Options > Extract EXIF data, didn't seem to do anything.

I'm a Panorama/Array photographer, a P/A can consist of anywhere from 3 - 300 photos which are then "stitched" together. I organize the P/A sets into geographic folders. The single most important EXIF field to identify a contiguous P/A set is Focal Length.

Can BRU identify the EXIF focal length and use that field in the file name?

The only program that I'm aware that can use EXIF FL in file renaming is Chris Breeze's Downloader Pro. From my tests, it appears DLPro can use any EXIF field in the file name. However, the DL metaphor creates some clunkiness in renaming.

Please ask some questions if I'm not being clear.

Hermit
21st Hermit

Postby Admin » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:00 pm

Hi,

At the moment, the only field that gets extracted is the "date taken" field. However there's nothing to stop me extracting the other fields too, and perhaps allowing them to be used somehow within the name. The screen is a bit crowded, so it might have to be via some clever way - ideas welcome!

When you say that the Extract Exif DATE item does nothing -it should extract the "date taken" information. Is it not doing this?

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby 21st Hermit » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:14 pm

Hi Jim,

As a general comment, date renamers are a "dime-a-dozen" everybody is fixated on date. Having another date renamer does nothing to set BRU apart from a crowded field. My take is that Explorer already shows me the Date:Time, why does it need repeating in the file name? However, universal EXIF renamers are nowhere to be found. Perhaps a need/market opportunity, perhaps not.

Admin wrote:At the moment, the only field that gets extracted is the "date taken" field. However there's nothing to stop me extracting the other fields too, and perhaps allowing them to be used somehow within the name. The screen is a bit crowded, so it might have to be via some clever way - ideas welcome!
You could use the DLPro Token metaphor, then every EXIF value has a recognized token and argument. You would then have a look-up table that the user would use to identify their choosen EXIF data arguments.

The look-up table would prevent interface clutter, while still maximizing user EXIF choices. My belief, any one user will only use a small set of EXIF fields, therefore "user friendlyness" is not a high priority, rather user flexibility.

Example: &A1, &T2, &S1; where "&" is always recognized in your code as the token followed by the arguments A1, T2, S1. Let's assume that you assigned T2 to focal length and A1 to the camera image number, then if I wanted those in a renamed field, it would look something like this: &A1_&T2mm. which would yield 8122_88mm.cr2 for a new file name from the Canon file Img8122.cr2

Check out DLPro's token table for Chris' solution for more ideas. Chris' solution shows some evolutionary clutter. My advice, bite the bullet, identify every EXIF field you can, and assign a logical argument day one.

When you say that the Extract Exif DATE item does nothing -it should extract the "date taken" information. Is it not doing this?
This is a classic case of coders intent and novice users lack of what to expect.

Hermit
21st Hermit

Postby Admin » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:24 pm

Yep, I understand. How would you envisage it working? Which of the existing dialog boxes would be best suited to the extra tage. Perhaps the Reg Exp box? or do we need a new field within the "additions" box, solely for adding the EXIF data?

But I still don't follow your last point.

Is the "Extract EXIF Data" extracting the date-taken information...or is it not? My reason for asking is that some files seem to have a non-standard structure. Windows Explorer copes with them, but BRU does not.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby 21st Hermit » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:32 pm

Jim,

Admin wrote:Yep, I understand. How would you envisage it working? Which of the existing dialog boxes would be best suited to the extra tage. Perhaps the Reg Exp box? or do we need a new field within the "additions" box, solely for adding the EXIF data?
Sorry, didn't really get that far. I simply Googled EXIF and Focal Length, I download three candidates and tried all three this morning. All failed. I used your link to the forum and saw the suggestion sub-forum. Here we are.

I'd suggest posing your interface question to a forum member who regularily uses BRU. You'll get a much more intelligent answer.

But I still don't follow your last point.

Is the "Extract EXIF Data" extracting the date-taken information...or is it not? My reason for asking is that some files seem to have a non-standard structure. Windows Explorer copes with them, but BRU does not.
Again, didn't get that far.

However, would be interested in being a Beta tester.

Hermit
21st Hermit

Postby masken » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:39 am

I'd suggest GUI-tabs for different feature sets along with a "log" in the bottom of the application showing actions that will be taken - together with the "rename button".

Ie, if you select renaming using EXIF data, the log could show something like:
Rename: C:\My pics\, all files (43 file(s)), set file name to "", keeping suffix.
Rename: C:\My pics\, all files (43 file(s)), using EXIF/Focal length value.
Counter: Insert decimal numbers at pos: 3 from: right, with padding: 3. Start at: 001.

...could perhaps be completed with "hyperlinks" activating the GUI tab with the activated function for easy reference/editing - perhaps also up/down, "remove row" & Preview buttons for each action row. What do you think? Lemme know if I should explain myself further... ;)
Last edited by masken on Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
masken

Postby Admin » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:44 am

Unfortunately that would mean a major rewrite of the GUI, which just isn't going to happen.

I am interested in the "log" facility. In fact I started something similar about 6 months ao. It was a dialog box which showed how a filename was being derived. e.g.

Name YYYYY
Apply RegExp XXXX
Result YYYYY

Removing characters
Result YYYYY

Adding AutoNumber
Result YYYYY

etc.

The code is currently disabled, as I started it but never finished it.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby 21st Hermit » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:06 pm

Jim

Admin wrote:Unfortunately that would mean a major rewrite of the GUI, which just isn't going to happen.
Now that I know the "rules", I'll spend some time learning the interface when I get back from a photo backpack trip mid-week and offer some constructive inputs. Nothing like renaming a few thousand files to learn an interface.

Sounds like the EXIF naming code is less an issue than the GUI.

Hermit
21st Hermit

Postby Admin » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:10 am

There's a new beta on the website, containing the facility to include focal length, aperture, and exposure in the filename.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby 21st Hermit » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:43 am

Jim

Admin wrote:There's a new beta on the website, containing the facility to include focal length, aperture, and exposure in the filename.
Wow, that's fast!!! Should have some feedback Thur or Fri.

Hermit
21st Hermit

Postby 21st Hermit » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:29 am

Hi Jim,

Admin wrote:There's a new beta on the website, containing the facility to include focal length, aperture, and exposure in the filename.
I DL and installed the beta version.

When I do a Help > About, it shows Build 2.3.4.1 and no mention of Beta,
on the DL page it says: Build 2.3.5.1 , for Windows. Did I do something wrong or is there a typo here?

Figured out what happened, not why:
I DL the zip to an external USB HD M:
When I clicked on the zip it offered to extract the files to a subfolder on M:, I clicked OK. This instead of offering to install at C:Program Files.
I copied all the unzipped files to C: and I now have 2.3.5.1 working.

Hermit
21st Hermit

Postby 21st Hermit » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:49 am

Hi Jim,

Need a little help on the EXIF fields. The interface works well. I selected a group of 10 .CR2 files, worked in numeric ascending order, as I inputted values in the boxes the New Name column instantly changed (liked that a lot)!!!

I saw the EXIF box in field (7), didn't understand what to do. Neither the .PDF nor the Tips.txt helped. Checked Options > Extract EXIF Data, again no help.

Also like the BIG Rename box in the lower right, fill in from 1 - 13 and click Rename, works for me.

Thanks for any help,
Hermit
21st Hermit

Postby Admin » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:58 am

Hi Hermit,

.CR2 files are not supported. Canon uses a proprietary format which doesn't follow the EXIF specification.

(I too use .CR2, on my 20D, and if I could find a way to implement it then I would!).

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby 21st Hermit » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:36 pm

Jim

Admin wrote:.CR2 files are not supported. Canon uses a proprietary format which doesn't follow the EXIF specification.

(I too use .CR2, on my 20D, and if I could find a way to implement it then I would!).
Bummer!!!

Some thoughts:
RawShooter reports the focal length of .CR2 RAWs
Chris Breeze's DLPro sees all the "EXIF" data of CR2's
Wouldn't they both use the Canon's RAW SDK to extract this data?

FWIW
Hermit
21st Hermit

Postby Admin » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:53 pm

Possibly. But the RAW SDK is not something I've encountered.
Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Suggestions