Unicode Support Required!!

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Unicode Support Required!!

Postby lennon » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:01 pm

Please...Support Unicode!!
lennon

Postby Admin » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:01 pm

Unicode support is on the wishlist, but it's not going to happen any time soon. I know absolutely nothing about how unicode works, what the requirements are, what the implications are etc.

If somebody can assist me with the technicalities then it will happen sooner, but without assistance then it will be a long wait I'm afraid. It might never happen. (Remember that BRU is a hobby product of mine, not a commercial product, and my part of the world has no requirement for unicode).

To reiterate, unicode support might happen, but it's not on the immediate horizon.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:32 pm

Please could somebody email me a ZIP file containing a handful of very small files which have Unicode filenames. They can be teeny weeny files, I just need them to have unicode names.

Email them to unicode@jimwillsher.co.uk

Many thanks!

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:34 pm

I've been playing around with the latest version. Can you tell me exactly how Unicode isn't supported? Everything I try with Unicode filenames seems to work correctly. I'm getting some more "real life" unicode files, but as far as I can see it seems to work correctly.

Any thoughts?

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby miokawaii » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:27 am

All major OS now fully support unicode folder/filename but BRU can neither navigate directory with unicode nor rename a file with unicode yet. Do check out open source mass file renamer Ant Renamer. Hopefully unicode will be supported in the next BRU release.
miokawaii

Postby Admin » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:22 am

Unfortunately I don't know anything about Unicode, so I have no way to test BRU to work out which bits don't work.

Anyone who wants Unicode support in BRU, please help me out!!! Otherwise I won't implement Unicode support.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby miokawaii » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:47 am

miokawaii wrote:Do check out open source mass file renamer Ant Renamer.
You will find contact info & source code there. I have no knowlegde in programming, all I can offer is beta testing. Really hope unicode can be implement in the next BRU release.
miokawaii

Postby Admin » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:19 pm

Hi,

It's not source code I'm after. What I want is examples of Unicode files, and examples of things which don't work. I can then debug it through identify what I need to change.

Cheers,

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby miokawaii » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:50 pm

Unicode samples send! Tell me if you need anything else! Hope this helps.
miokawaii

Postby Admin » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:18 am

Okay folks, I now have Unicode support!

The Beta on the website, version 2.2.7.1, includes Unicode support. All you nice people who have Unicode platforms, please could you give this a thorough test and feedback your results. Any problems/issues, just let me know.

A couple of notes:

1) I do not know if I should be releasing two versions, Unicode and Non-Unicode, or if I should just release the Unicode version. Anyone any thoughts? I don't want to find that I release one version (with Unicode support) and then cripple everyone else's installations!

2) My Regular Expression library does NOT have support for Unicode. As such, I have to convert the details to non-unicode. Whilst the program doesn't crash, I am not sure how well it works (I really need an Asian keyboard!).

Anyway, I am not going to do any more development on ANY version of BRU until I'm happy with the Unicode version (in case I need to revert back to the non-unicode source). Therefore, the more testing that can be done by you guys the better! Ideally it needs to be tested by Unicode people AND non-unicode prople, to make sure there's no regression issues.

I look forward to hearing your feedback.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby KHL » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:56 am

Okay, you Unicode folks, you've got Jim (and all others, too) fixed at version 2.2.7.1 until he receives enough sufficient feedback about problems etc.

So PLEASE test and tell us how it works.

ALL of us will profit from your results, as Jim won't do any further development until then.

Hope to hear from you soon.
KHL

Postby miokawaii » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:41 am

Why make 2 version of BRU? Is there anything different from the user point of view in these 2 version? I really feel bad asking you for the unicode support as it seems like extra job for you. But think again, I'm glad and happy you didn't chose to ignore us (million of us hopefully) who need unicode support. Thanks a millions!
miokawaii

Postby Admin » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:34 pm

Well, it's not really two version. The way I implemented the changes means that I just have to recompile it with different settings.Theoretically I don't need a non-unicode version, but I'm not sure if all versions of windws are automatically shipped with the Unicode libraries.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby lorenzr » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:02 pm

This solved most of the crashing issues. In 2.2.7 I could use it on foreign characters if I had windows set to use that language for non Unicode programs. Every once in a while a third language character would make it into the name crashing the program. I will try it on those tonight.

Well this update is a welcome change to other programs. Stating we will never support Unicode or give the solution of setting windows support of non Unicode programs to that language. (powerarchiver, irfanview).

My problem is I used BRU to remove these Unicode characters for other programs. 2.2.7 I set the remove high box and let it go. 2.2.9 the remove high box doesn’t work. Is there a method to remove those problematic characters? or add a new option to remove Unicode?

Thanks Ray
lorenzr

Postby Admin » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:05 pm

With Unicode there's not really a concept of "high" characters, as "high" denotes 127 onwards - Unicode doesn't obey these rules.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Suggestions