Cloned Files Rename

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Cloned Files Rename

Postby jesusduarte » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:12 pm

Hi again

it would be nice if BRU had a way to tell if two files are exact copies, so you can rename them (Copy 1 and Copy2 and Copy *) acording to your needs.

My use would be when organizing my pictures... It seems that I made a mess because I burned my pictures so long ago... but forgot to remove them from the PC. Later on... after several hundred pairs of Mb of new pictures... I renamed all the old and new pictures I had on the HDD. The thing is that it would be nice if BRU could identify which pictures are exact copies of files in the same folder, or in another folder, to rename them acordingly.

I visualize it in 2 different ways... as a function in the actions menu that asks you for the folder to compare files and that gives you (in a new column) the MD5 file fingerprint... and filters all those files which do not have at least 1 matching copy of their MD5 file fingerprint... or maybe the MD5 file fingerprint could be transparent to the user. The other way i visualize it is to select which files you want to compare... click the right mouse button and select 'compare for clones' and then filter out all those that do not have clones so you can work with those files as you would normally do.

* i said MD5 file fingerprint... but it could be something else that makes the work done.
jesusduarte

Postby lnb » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:06 pm

Wouldn't running a duplicate file detection/removal utility obviate the problem?
lnb

Postby jesusduarte » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:25 pm

It could, but as I stated it... it would be another filtering method to work with the files you want. No extra programs... no extra hassle. And it would be useful for most of us.
jesusduarte

Return to Suggestions