Renaming generic name using property details Title field

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Renaming generic name using property details Title field

Postby IIWIIM8 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:22 am

Having encountered a vexing situation repeatedly. After dwelling on it for a prolonged time it is being presented the suggestion of taking a time consuming task and replacing it with a data management process. Resolving this matter may also prove beneficial to BRU.

Have become a fan of audio books offeredbyhttps://librivox.org/ They offer a vast array of topics, languages and authors whose works are in the public domain. They offer them free of cost, obligation or membership. Each may be downloaded or streamed.

After the works are read (by volunteer Readers) Librivox staff bundle items into compressed (.zip) files. In that process they ascribe a common file name to each section/part/chapter followed by a sequential number, the authors name and a technical designation of sound quality. By doing so they omit the actual name of the section/part/chapter, but that information is usually stored in the files properties information.

The common chapter names make it difficult to return to specific passages. Absent the actual chapter name, looking through multiple chapters for a part is frustrating and time consuming.

Am using a miniature player while commuting and it proves difficult to navigate through very similarly named sections to pick up where last left off. Again an unnecessarily frustrating and time consuming ordeal.

Example: Friedrich Nietzsche's 'The Case of Wagner' is divided into 5 parts, with the following file names:

nietzscheonwagner_01_nietzsche_64kb.mp3
nietzscheonwagner_02_nietzsche_64kb.mp3
nietzscheonwagner_03_nietzsche_64kb.mp3
nietzscheonwagner_04_nietzsche_64kb.mp3
nietzscheonwagner_05_nietzsche_64kb.mp3

Under each files Properties 'Details', in the 'Title' element, the chapters actual 'Title' is listed (as shown below). It is seldom omitted though on rare occasion the field can not be accessed thwarting copy and paste.

01 - Introduction and Preface
02 - The Case of Wagner First
03 - The Case of Wagner Second
04 - Nietzsche Contra Wagner
05 - Selected Aphorisms

Optimally, a utility replacing the generalized file name it with the true title supplied in the 'Title' field is what is needed.

What I am suggesting is add an element to BRU allowing the title from the files properties details to to be used to rename the file.

This may not seem to be a matter of much worth, but having just manually renamed the 80 chapters of 'Thus Spake Zarathustra', I can testify to preferring it to become an automated task.

Have been (regular) user BRU for nearly a decade and a half. It has permitted complex name changes to be implemented swiftly. In the process, saved me dozens of hours of tedious work.

Thanks for any considerations you can afford this matter.

Thanks!
IIWIIM8

Re: Renaming generic name using property details Title field

Postby therube » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:53 pm

7:Add, says it can handle certain mp3 tags (like %t for Title) but I don't see where it is actually working?
Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

OK, it does work.
You also need to actually enable the pulling of tags.
Renaming Options menu item -> ID3/EXIF => checkmark the needed options.

(Then it mentioned needing to refresh, F5, but even having done that, initially it didn't pull the tags. But then I went back to it & its now working as expected.)

With it working, with the Title tag, you can then further adjust the file names as you want.
Code: Select all
nietzscheonwagner_05_nietzsche_64kb   - 05 - Selected Aphorisms.mp3
nietzscheonwagner_04_nietzsche_64kb   - 04 - Nietzsche Contra Wagner.mp3
nietzscheonwagner_03_nietzsche_64kb   - 03 - The Case of Wagner Second???????????????.mp3
nietzscheonwagner_02_nietzsche_64kb   - 02 - The Case of Wagner First.mp3
nietzscheonwagner_01_nietzsche_64kb   - 01 - Introduction and Preface.mp3
02 Cannons   - Cannons.mp3
08 The Hunt   - The Hunt.mp3
03 Afternoon   - Afternoon.mp3
06 Daydream   - Daydream.mp3
05 July   - July.mp3
07 Montana   - Montana.mp3
01 Posters   - Posters.mp3
04 17   - Seventeen.mp3

(Those oddities in '03' actually look to be a Comment in the file, but for some reason its being picked up by BRU as part of the Title.)
therube

Re: Renaming generic name using property details Title field

Postby IIWIIM8 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:51 pm

Took me a moment to figure out the specifics of what your were addressing. The process outlined works near perfectly.

The only addition I can offer is using 'Remove(5)' to remove the original name. Set the 'First n' number to s lsrge enough number to eliminate the existing name(s). Used in comblination with 'Add(7)' it becomes a one step process.

Noticed an oddity when the new title name exceeds 30 character the resulting name will be truncated to 30 characters.
  • Name in 'Title' field: Jefferson's Letter To The Danbury Baptists
  • Name after Running BRU: Jefferson's Letter To The Danb
  • Midigation process: manual correction.
Thank You!
IIWIIM8

Return to Suggestions