list user tags below suffix, insert at pointer on click

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

list user tags below suffix, insert at pointer on click

Postby someoneabc » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:50 pm

Hi,
BRU is great great great! :D

I use it to rename the image files for photos I take. I start with date created but then add tags that reflect the content of the photos, for easier searching later on. I use the Add(7) > suffix box for that.

Now, I find myself entering a small number of tags very often. I bet others have a similar pattern of usage. For us, a faster way to tag would be great.

Suggestion:
- let the user enter a string of space separated words (in some settings field)
- treat all words as separate tags. List them in the empty area below Add(7) > suffix . When clicking on one of the words, insert it at the pointer in the currently active textbox in BRU.

possible extra feature:
- add smart spaces: if the user first clicks to insert one tag and then clicks to inser another tag, then BRU could add a space before inserting the new tag (but BRU should not do that if the user has given BRU input through the keyboard or activated some other textbox in BRU since the last tag click)

someoneabc

Re: list user tags below suffix, insert at pointer on click

Postby someoneabc » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:46 pm

I see that admin has replied to almost all other request threads in the forum, but not to this one. I wonder why. Maybe pure omission? Or was this request so perfect that no comments are needed? 8) Anyway, I still think this is a good idea. Am I the only one using BRU to rename files that I also want to add some recurring set of tags to? Tagging has been a popular feature in many other on- and offline applications so why not in BRU.
someoneabc

Re: list user tags below suffix, insert at pointer on click

Postby Admin » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:26 am

I've held off responding to this request as I wanted to see if there was a "general need" for it from other users.

To be honest, I think most people tag pictures using EXIF tags, rather than placing words in the filenames. I myself use ACDSee Pro 2, which allows me to maintain an extensive keyword/category database and I then tick the categories appropriate to a picture. My pictures themselves are simply the data taken, e.g. 20080321_0001.jpg, 20080321_0002.jpg, 20080321_0003.jpg etc.

Is there a general need for this? Would others find it useful? Or would it just add to the screen clutter, which is my main concern.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions