Three wishes (editable path, help tips, URL encoding)

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Three wishes (editable path, help tips, URL encoding)

Postby mcb » Sat May 16, 2009 1:23 pm

Great software, thank you. I've used a lot of these tools on previous systems, but I am fresh on this.

The first thing that I felt was missing is a top left field above or below the file tree I could paste a path. Why force the user to manually click his way to the desired path, when the path is often just a copy & paste away? This greatly affects some user's productivity.

While I am sure I will learn how to use this, it would have been nice to have some tooltips as you hover over some elements such as the "R" buttons, etc. Either a timed tip, or a "?" button on the window title bar.

To conclude, a more technical wish: a way to convert between regular encoding and URL encoding format. As you know, in URLs "unsafe" characters are replaced by "%" followed by two hex digits. The space character becomes %20, etc. I presume one can already do this by creating a table or some manual rules, I just would love to see this feature built-in and one click away. If I missed it, my apologies!

Thanks again for your hard work and for making this tool available for free.
mcb

Re: Three wishes (editable path, help tips, URL encoding)

Postby KHL » Mon May 18, 2009 8:33 am

Hi mcb,

as far as I am concerned, I already have asked some times to include a copy/paste field for entire paths, too. As there haven't been a reaction, yet, I have used to open the desired path in Windows Explorer or somewhere else, copy the path there, then change to BRU, use shortkey <Ctrl><J>, and paste the path into BRU. This works fine for me.

The"R"-buttons:
The "Reset"-button at the bottom right corner resets ALL renaming criteriae entered into ALL boxes. If you do not want to empty all entries made in several boxes, but only a specific box's one, you can use its "R"-button instead. BRU then deletes only this specific entry. By the way, the tick left beside the "R" does not remove its content, but sets it inactive only, so its content won't be considered for the next rename but can be preserved for later ones.

Hth

Karl-Heinz
KHL

Re: Three wishes (editable path, help tips, URL encoding)

Postby shhac » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:47 am

I presume one can already do this by creating a table or some manual rules
It would be faster to use a regular expression than a table if you're codeing this feature.
i.e.
Code: Select all
Match: /([^a-zA-Z0-9])/gi
Replace: '%' + CharToByte('$1')
and
Code: Select all
Match: /%([a-f0-9][a-f0-9])/gi
Replace: ByteToChar('$1')

( I wrote that in JavaScript and didn't define CharToByte or ByteToChar, but you get the general idea )

And yes, I support this. Converting url-safe names back to readable names can be quite annoying.
shhac

Return to Suggestions