keep raw and thm together

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

keep raw and thm together

Postby janvg » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:55 am

Hello,
I'm new here, so perhaps my question has already been adressed. I didn't find anything via 'search' though, so here I am.
When i shoot raw with my camera, the camera makes two files: 1 .crw (canon) and 1 .thm-file. The filename is identical, only the extension differs. These 2 files should always have the same name and should always stay together (in the same directory), so it should be impossible to rename only one of the two files.
Is this something 'Bulk Rename' takes into account?
janvg

Postby Stefan » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:38 am

> so it should be impossible to rename only one of the two files.

- If all files are selected for to rename
- hold down Ctrl-Key and left click on the files you don't want to rename to deselect them only

That's windows standard behaviour: always try Ctrl or Shift -key for such effects (e.g. in WinExplorer too).
Stefan

Postby Admin » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:55 am

Thanks Stefan.

I have the same problem - my camera takes .CR2 images but Photoshop creates Sidecar .XMP files, and these two must also be kept the same.

The only time this will ever be a problem in BRU is when you use the auto-number feature, as everything else will be applied equally to both files of the same name.

Windows (and BRU) has no conept of keeping the files associated, so I'm afraid this is something you will have to control yourself. Just be careful when you are renaing the files, and double-check the "new name" to make sure you are keeping the anmes consistent.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Re: keep raw and thm together

Postby gjhill » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:48 pm

is there any possibility of extending BRU to read the EXIF data stored in the XMP files? That way a rename using the EXIF data would consistently rename both the NEF and the XMP files...

the XMP format is well documented...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Metadata_Platform

and is a simple to parse text file....
gjhill

Return to Suggestions