Crash using Favourites on a network drive.

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Crash using Favourites on a network drive.

Postby clarksco » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:35 am

Jim...let me start by telling you how much I appreciate this utility. It is the best out there and I use it all the time. And if I may say, Lang may yer lum reak! (My mother is from Edinburgh)

With that said, I am experiencing a crash when I restart the app after saving the session. This may be a problem that is specific to my situation as I am using a Windows XP Pro machine on a Mac OS X (Panther) network with windows file sharing enabled. The problem is as follows.
1. I open a folder on the server via the My Network Place icon.
2. I save the session and close BRU. (I have "Store Pathname" checked)
3. I then open BRU again and it crashes immediately.
ScreenShot: http://www.clarksco.com/resources/images/BRU_crash.jpg

The report claims the problem is related to Shell32.dll, but I don't know if that has any significance.

I have noticed if I remove the "Favourite Path" registry entry, the app starts working again.

If I map the drive locally to X: (for example), I can save that path as a favourite and it works without error.
clarksco

Postby Admin » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:03 am

Yes, I'ma fraid network-paths are not supported very well. The problem is that BRU doesn't know where to find the path in the left hand "tree" - it could be in a domain, or My Network Places, or My Termain Server Places, etc.

I will probably make a change to prevent UNC paths from being saved.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support