Folder location sav with "File|Save" settings

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Postby Neil Reid » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:20 pm

I am new here so please forgive any indiscretions :cry:
I could not find anything about this with a Forum search BUT I have been using BRU2281 for some time & when I saved settings, the .bru file included the working folder & on later selection of the .bru file (File|Open or from MRU list the active folder at the time of creating the .bru file was automatically selected. With BRU2290 this appears to no longer occur (although other setting are restored). Sometimes it is true that I don't care where the active folder is but often I save a setting when I specifically want to work in the current folder. Is this an aberration with 2290 or unwanted behaviour by other users :?: as if there is any "complaint I would aim at BRU, it is that the folder navigation is rather slow. (Please don't get me wrong - I l-o-v-e BRU - it is the best & most stable renamer for Windows I have come across. Great work Jim :o & condolences for whatever your private difficulties are). Is there I wonder a way (I have missed) of selecting the folder RESTORE action?
Neil Reid

Postby Admin » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:32 am

Hi,

Did you tick the "Options. Favourites, Store Pathname" button?

Most settings in 2.2.9.0 are stored in an INI file, for portability, so many of the menu item ticks will need to be re-selected.

Yes, speed isn't great. However that's the penulty for using C++ (MFC) and extracting icons (don't extract icons to improve speed). Windows programs (e.g. Explorer) load icons only when they are needed - see this for yourself by using Explorer to view a large folder and then quickly scroll to the end of the folder. So, there'snot much I can do to improve the speed, but I do revisit the code every now and again to see if it can be improved.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Neil Reid » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:03 am

Admin wrote:Did you tick the "Options. Favourites, Store Pathname" button?

Duh! :(

I read that you'd changed the storage from registry to ini (good move I think :D ) & assumed you'd read the registry entries & set the ini file to reflect these on installation/upgrade but I didn't think to check the "Options" settings when the "failure" occurred. Must've been walking-asleep at the time :oops:

Thanks Jim
Neil Reid

Postby Admin » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:11 am

Migrating settings can be tricky, and I should have made this more clear on the upgrade instructions. Sorry...

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support