Rename Folder Crashes BRU

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Rename Folder Crashes BRU

Postby CBLABEDZ » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:58 pm

Greetings. I'm hoping I can get some help here, as I have thousands of folders to rename... This program is fantastic and has saved me HOURS of effort on other projects. The current problem I have relates to the renaming of folders, but each requires a custom change. The search capability in BRU is fabulous, and allows me to pull up all folders with the name "obsolete".

Once I have that list in the main window, I try to rename the folder by clicking the folder under "name" and this allows a rename as would Microsoft Explorer. The rename of a folder results in an immediate crash. It appears that the folder is renamed in a subsequent search, but it is painful to have to open the application repeatedly. There are other methods to change the folder name, but it is just more time consuming, as each folder needs to include part of the sub directory where it is located.

Any suggestions or is this a known bug?
CBLABEDZ

Re: Rename Folder Crashes BRU

Postby RudyVB » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:23 pm

Any progress on this? As I experience the same problem.
RudyVB

12SubFolders wants rename-button to refresh DirPaths

Postby truth » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:52 pm

Checking 12SubFolders disables successive, manual 1-at-a-time Dir renames.
When working recursively, BRU must update DirPaths on-the-fly as each DirName is changed,
but this wont happen unless the rename is performed directly via BRU's rename-command.

F2 & manually-typing NewName uses a shell-extension that bypasses BRU's rename-command.
The DirPaths dont get updated/refreshed, so further renames would be risky at best.

Since you're renaming 1Dir-at-a-time, you could use (.*) in 1RegexMatch, then type NewName into Replace
(or whatever settings make your rename easier, it really depends how you're renaming).
That allows clicking Rename to auto-update the listed DirPaths to allow further Dir renames.

An alternative is using Explorer's search=folder:\*obsolete* to list those same DirNames.
truth

Re: Rename Folder Crashes BRU

Postby wired2 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:20 am

I'm having the same problem. I think this worked in the past, but now it always hangs when selecting a folder. Using Win 7 64bit

Thanks
wired2

12SubFolders wants rename-button to refresh DirPaths

Postby truth » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:39 pm

I think this worked in the past

If it worked, its because 12SubFolders was un-checked.
Are there really this many people who check 12SubFolders, & then want to rename folders 1 at a time??
If so, you must do it with BRU's rename-command, not the F2/manual shell-extension to Explorer.
truth

Return to BRU Support