Adjusting time-taken

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Adjusting time-taken

Postby jarhtmd » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:36 pm

I usually have 2 cameras around my neck when shooting. Later after downloading, I assign date/time prefixes to the camera-assigned file names. When I copy all the files into a single folder, they are automatically sorted into time-taken sequence. Then I strip the date/times & assign my own sequence numbers.

I have found that over time my carefully synced camera times become out of sync because 1 of the clocks very slowly loses time. That usually isn't a problem, but occasionally several minutes are significant. I would like to be able to adjust the time up or down by a few seconds or minutes. I don't know how to modify the EXIF time before using BRU. Nor can BRU (to my knowledge) perform a calculation on digits within a file name. Can this be handled by BRU? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
jarhtmd

Re: Adjusting time-taken

Postby jarhtmd » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:44 am

I found a solution:
* EXIF Date Changer, from www.RellikSoftware.com
There's a free version. The Pro version is only $11.95
jarhtmd

Re: Adjusting time-taken

Postby Stefan » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:24 pm

One can also use the command line tool EXIV2 to adjust the exif time stamp:

According to the exiv2 man page the command to change a time stamp is as follows:

exiv2 -a <time> adjust <file>

<Time> is the difference between the time to be adjusted and the new time in the format [-]HH[:MM[:SS]].
For example: 1 adds one hour, 1:01adds one hour and one minute, -0:00:30 subtracts 30 seconds.

So, I have a time stamp of 2010-04-16 Fri 07:11,
where I want to change the time to 19:11.
So I run
exiv2 -a 12 adjust img_1234.jpg

Use something like
exiv2 -a-3 *.jpg
to adjust the Exif times in all JPEG images by -3 hours.

http://www.exiv2.org/sample.html

There is also Exifer - http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/
and
ExifTool by Phil Harvey
and
JHead
and
EXIFutils
and

If you work with XYplorer file manager you can use his scripting feature to rename your
files to the correct time without touching the exif mata data too:

formatdate()
Returns a date/time expression in a specific format, optionally shifted by a specific interval.

Usage
A practical example would be to shift the timestamp of your photos after coming back from a holiday in a different time zone:

//set modified date of current file to its EXIF + 6 hours
timestamp m, formatdate("<dateexif>", , "h", 6);

See http://www.xyplorer.com/download/XYplorerHelp.pdf page 302 (as today, or scroll to >>
Part IV Advanced Topics >> Scripting Commands Reference >> formatdate() )

XYplorer by the way is great to manage and preview your pictures.
Stefan

Return to BRU Support