Rename long file names

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Rename long file names

Postby Bksfinest » Thu May 24, 2012 8:53 am

I read this online, I am computer illiterate so please be detailed.

open command prompt
navigate to folder with files
ren *.*.* *.*.txt
That is kind of vague.

But I can't get it to work.

Anyways, I have a major problem. I cant open the file to even rename it. I cant drag it into BRU, I can't open it in lockhunter, unlocker, anything. The file name is so long I can't even open it, click on it or check properties I get the same message. Error: "The filename or extension is too long."

I tried 2 programs RenameMaestro and BulkRenameUtility-- I am new to both programs. So far Im not able to add the files to the program.

The file name is so long for a bunch of my files I can't even transfer them to my external hd or rename them by hand.

Once I do get this sorted out. What would be the best setting if I wanted to keep the first 20 characters and last 10 but delete anything in between or delete anything in excess of 80 characters for example?
Bksfinest

Access files with too many FullPathName chars

Postby truth » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:35 pm

Sounds like the file's FullPathName has exceeded your shell's max character-limit
Apps that rely on your shell's file-handler (BRU,Unlocker,etc) inherit the same problem
They simply cant use enough chars to address the entire FullPathName to your file

Since you cant spec the Full(Absolute)Path, create a RelativePath (mapped-drive substitution)
Assuming that your file's FullPathName is C:\Users\John\Deep\Deeper\LongFilename.rar

Go to your command prompt and type:
SUBST Z: C:\Users\John\Deep\Deeper
That substitutes Z: for the DirPath above, so you can access the file as Z:\LongFilename.rar

Open Explorer/MyComputer to make sure the new virtual Z: Drive appears
You should then be able to access the file as Z:\LongFilename.rar with any app
When your finished renaming/moving, remove the virtual Z: substitution with
SUBST Z: /D

Renaming long filenames (1Regex underneath)

Rename files >30chars by keeping 1st-20 & last-10 chars
(.{20})(.{1,})(.{10})$
\1\3
Rename files >80chars by keeping 1st-20 & last-10 chars
(.{20})(.{51,})(.{10})$
\1\3
Rename files >80chars by keeping 1st-80 chars
(.{80})(.+)
\1
Rename files >80chars by keeping last-80 chars
(.+)(.{80})
\2