right click menu

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

right click menu

Postby keithinoz » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:18 am

BRU used to appear when I right clicked on a file name. How do I add it back onto the Right click menu?
keithinoz

Re: right click menu

Postby Stefan » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:26 pm

keithinoz wrote:BRU used to appear when I right clicked on a file name. How do I add it back onto the Right click menu?

Jim has done a great work with writing the help file. Why do you not read it?

And... be sure to have the right download for your operation system (32 / 64 bit)
Stefan

Postby keithinoz » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:11 am

Thanks Stefan. The help file didn't help. It makes no mention of how to add BRU to the shell menu only how to access it. Also I have the 64 bit version which is correct.
keithinoz

Postby Stefan » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:12 pm

keithinoz wrote:Thanks Stefan.
The help file didn't help. It makes no mention of how to add BRU to the shell menu only how to access it.
Also I have the 64 bit version which is correct.

I meant:

Help > Additional Features > Bulk Rename Here

When you install Bulk Rename Utility you have the option of installing "Context" menus.
If you choose this option (recommended), you will find a new Bulk Rename Here facility when
you right-click a file or folder within Windows Explorer.

Selecting this option will launch Bulk Rename Utility, and will automatically select the folder
you right-clicked (or the parent folder, if you right-clicked a file).
This provides quick access to the utility.

If you are using the favorites facility, and you have selected the option to automatically save favorites upon exit,
then please be aware that the folder name stored against the favorites will become the folder you right-clicked.

For reasons of performance, if you use the Bulk Rename Here right-click function then the Sub-folders flag
will be unticked, regardless of its stored setting.

This is to prevent situations where you choose a high-level folder (e.g. C:\) without realizing that a recursive
directory search is about to be performed.
The note regarding favorites above also applies here.

Doing It Manually - register the BRUHere.dll if you miss that context menu
(e.g. if you use the portable version and want to have that feature too, or to re-register in case of an misbehave)

If you wish to enable or disable the Bulk Rename Here helper manually, it's easy to do.

Assuming you installed Bulk Rename Utility into C:\Program Files\Bulk Rename Utility
then you have to enter the following into a command line (Start, Run, cmd) :

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Bulk Rename Utility\BRUHere.dll"

To un-register it again:
regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Bulk Rename Utility\BRUHere.dll"

This works also with relative paths:
- First go into C:\Program Files\Bulk Rename Utility
- then execute
regsvr32 BRUHere.dll

Attention: for Vista/Win7 with enabled UAC, open the DOS-box with elevated admin rights!!!! (right click the CMD.lnk and chose "Run As Admin")
The same if you install BRU with the installer: right click the setup and chose "Run As Admin")

Please be sure to use the DLL to your matching operation architecture:

Bulk Rename Utility, version 2.7.1.2 for Windows 7, Vista, XP, 2003, 2008, 2000, NT. Complete with installer.
Bulk Rename Utility (64-bit), version 2.7.1.2 for Windows 7 (64-bit), Vista (64-bit), XP (64-bit), 2003 (64-bit), 2008 (64-bit). Complete with installer

Updating from a previous version?
If you are updating Bulk Rename Utility from version 2.7.1.0 (or older), please uninstall it before installing the new version.
(Maybe also important to de-register the old BRUHere.dll and register the new DLL, perhaps from an different path too)

Bulk Rename Utility, version 2.7.1.2 Portable version "No-Installer" files for all platforms
\Bulk Rename Utility 2.7.1.2 (20 June 2010)\BRU_NoInstall.zip\BRU\All\BRUHere.dll for 32-bit windows XP and Win7
\Bulk Rename Utility 2.7.1.2 (20 June 2010)\BRU_NoInstall.zip\BRU\All\BRUHere64.dll for 64-bit Win7

Stefan

Postby Bill70 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:06 pm

I have followed all the suggestions here in this thread but still cannot force the Context Menu to display "Bulk Rename Here". It works fine on my 32-bit Win7 install, but here on my 64-bit it does not. Any advice?

Bill
Bill70

Postby Bill70 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:56 pm

Sorry. Disregard my last post. I had both versions but double-clicked the installer for the 32-bit one instead of the 64-bit one. Context menu works fine now.

Bill
Bill70

Re: right click context menu - register BRUHere.dll 32 64 bit

Postby Stefan » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:45 pm

Many thanks for feedback Bill.
Stefan

Postby risdo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:20 pm

I think my problem might be related to this, but I'm not sure.

I have downloaded the version of BRU for Windows 7 64-bit, and ran the installer as Administrator.

I can run the program from the start menu just fine...

The problem is, I can't run it from the context menu. When I right-click a folder, the program appears in the context menu as it is supposed to - but when I click that, I get this error message: "Error 740 while starting C:\Program Files\Bulk Rename Utility\Bulk Rename Utility.exe"

I installed the program on two identical Lenovo computers running Windows 7 professional 64-Bit. One one of them it works fine, on the other, I'm having this problem.
risdo

Re: right click menu UAC admin 740

Postby Stefan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:45 pm

Error 740, The requested operation requires elevation

Please help us to track this down:

* Have you UAC enabled?

* Have you installed BRU as elevated Admin or as Admin only?
So did you get a prompt for elevation when starting the installer?
If not, Right-click the installer and select "Run as Admin".

* do you have checked "Run as Administrator" if there is such an option
somewhere in the properties found in the context menu of the bru.exe?
If so, a UAC consentUI dialog will prompt you to elevate your permissions.
But Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) controls the context menu, but is running as a user.
It is unable, then, to elevate permissions in order to cause BRU to run.
You will need to remove the check from this box to stop seeing this error 740.

I never have installed BRU, i always use it as portable application.
But i will check this issue if i find some time next week or so.
Stefan

Postby risdo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:10 pm

So, you're saying do NOT run as administrator. Seems backwards, but I'll try it.
risdo

Return to BRU Support