Changing Timestamp

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Postby BRUFolio » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:23 pm

Concerning the Date offset of one-hour,

i am not so sure it is entirely a BRU issue. I have read about discrepancies caused mainely by differing ways that the hours are calculated by windows, different versions of windows perhaps? not sure about that, and other issues...

a couple of months ago, we used BRU to AUTO-DATE several files at a certain point in development. we used another utility to set the date/times and then auto-dated them with BRU so everything matched and we could tell if there was any accidental editing of these files even though they are set to R/O for the time being.

now, looking at them, the time/stamps are one hour off, this since the daylight-saving-time change this week...
I expect that these files will not be touched during the summer and we'll see the dates float back when the time goes back...

But, within BRU it should reconcile at least....
BRUFolio

Postby Admin » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:04 pm

Okay, you win :-)

It's in the new beta. And I've added it as a column too. Might as well do the job properly....

Hopefully the "unnamed file" things is resolved too.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby BRUFolio » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:29 pm

WONDERFUL!

one hour difference
At this point it behaves much better with only one bug that i can determine:

when i select a file, it shows the new timestamp is going to be one hour ahead of where i have the time set for in the dialog.
however, after the action is performed, BRU does properly set the timestamp to what the dialog says and it correctly displays it in the date columns correctly after this action.
it is only in the "preview" stage that the times in the columns are showing to be one hour ahead.

IF i turn off "daylight savings time" in Windows, making my computer on normal Eastern Standard Time, then, it displays and works as expected.

THE BAD PART of this is, that, when on Daylight Savings Time, the Auto-Date that is inserted into the filename is the timestamp that is displayed in the preview, the one that is one hour ahead. So, I end up with a file that is dated as i wished, but the date inserted into the filename is one hour faster than the timestamp of the file...:

Like so:

I start with this file:

filename.............................timestamp
filename.txt........................7am

i wish to rename to:

filename_2am.txt 2am

I set the dialog to fix timestamp to 2am

i use autodate to insert the created (new) into the filename as a suffix.

I am previewed this:
filename_3am.txt 3am

and when I do the rename i get a file that displays like this in both BRU and Win Explorer:
filename_3am.txt 2am

"access to an unnamed file was denied" error

I get this under this circumstance:

I am setting the filedate dialog to set all dates to "current"
I am setting the attributes to set R/O and no change to the other two.
the file's attribute is already set to R/O

I get this error: "access to an unnamed file was denied" error
The filedatetimestamp was NOT changed but the filename was renamed as specified.

But, if i do this to a file that is NOT set to R/O already, it works setting the attribute to R/O and the filedatetimestamp correctly -- with no error message.

So, it would appear that if BRU encounters a request from a user to change an attribute that is identical to what the file currently has, that it would do so.
In Win Explorer I often select many files, some are R/O and some R/W and i want to set them all to R/O, I find the box having a shaded check and i click it twice to indicate to change them all to R/O........
perhaps BRU would need to do something twice?

That's all i have found with an initial few minutes,,,
i need to reboot so i am posting this now and will post any other findings later,,,
BRUFolio

Postby Admin » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:35 pm

I can't recreate your time issue. Everythng shows up correctly for me here, and my PC is set to honour daylight-saving. My timeshown shows currently as "GMT Daylight Time", e.g. GMT+1.

re: Unnamed File. This only seems to happen if the file is read-only. I thought I had solved this one but I guess not, I'll check again later tonight.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby BRUFolio » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:49 pm

In the standard Windows "Date and Time Properties" dialog box in the "Time Zone" tab, there are several settings for GMT, some have the check box below the map and some do not.
this check box says: "Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes"

If i set my time zone to a time zone that does NOT have this check box available, i cannot duplicate it.

It is when i am set to a time zone that has this checkbox displaying and the checkbox checked that the discrepancy shows...
if the checkbox is left unchecked there is no discrepancy,,,
BRUFolio

Postby Admin » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:52 pm

That's what I'm saying, that's the scenario I am in:

(GMT) Greenwich Mean Tie : Dublin, Edinburgh, lisbon, London

Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes (ticked)

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby BRUFolio » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:12 pm

You are correct, in GMT Dublin, with box checked there is no discrepancy.

but in Eastern Time, with box checked there is.

since GMT has no offset except for the daylight time, and the others all have an offset from GMT and also the offset of Daylight time, that might be where to look for the discrepancy????
BRUFolio

Postby Admin » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:34 pm

Nope, still can't recreate this...

I've set my system to

(GMT -05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

and I have the daylight-saving box ticked.

I've run BRU and chosen to update all three timestamps to Current, and I've also added a prefix of "Current" using the Autodate.

Every date on the screen now shows:

05/04/06 10:31:45

and it's currently 15:32 in the UK, e.g. 5 hours difference. SO it looks okay to me?

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby BRUFolio » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:38 pm

Try setting a FIXED time and date and apply that...
BRUFolio

Postby Admin » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:43 pm

Nope, still the same...

All three are now fixed 08/04/2006 13:00:00

Timezone is GMT-5, daylight saving.

All files show up as 13:00:00.....

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby BRUFolio » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:49 pm

that appears to be good news.

give me some time and i'll try it on a few other machines, i have a few here that are not on our network (which sets our clocks for us),,,,,
BRUFolio

Postby Admin » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Ok good. I'llneed to leave it for now anyway, I'm at work and have tons to do. Let me know what you find.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby BRUFolio » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:04 pm

I tried it on two other Win XP computers.
One is SP1 the other is SP2, both not on the network so no messing with the clock by IT....

Same results for me here -- same one-hour-off preview of the timestamp.

I tried it on a Win 98 computer, but it was not SE, so, would not load,<g>
I checked the requirements only after trying,,,

Has anyone else on this forum downloaded the latest beta and observed this action?
BRUFolio

Postby Admin » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:06 pm

Don't waste any more time on this. I've spent 4 hours this evening (and still going) in replacing SYSTEMTIME structures with FILETIME structures. It'll mean lots more testing, but it should be more robust.

I hope to get a new beta in a day or two.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby BRUFolio » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:11 pm

UR da MAN!
BRUFolio

PreviousNext

Return to BRU Support