Firewall blocks start of Bulk Rename

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Firewall blocks start of Bulk Rename

Postby Hochhaltinger » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:45 am

Hi,

My firewall blocks the start of the Bulk Rename Utility. When I click at the icon I only get a message "These files cannot be accessed..." -- unless I deactivate my firewall. Then it starts without any problems.

Since I am no firewall expert: How can I change the respective firewall settings to enable Bulk Renamer to start? And which are these respective settings in the Kerio firewall (the latest free version) settings?

Thank you for any hint!

A. H.
Hochhaltinger

Postby Admin » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:10 pm

Hi,

It sounds like you are blocking the download of .EXE files. Enable .EXE file download, or switch Kerio off for two minutes, and then re-enable it again.

If you still have no luck then I can email it to you as a ZIP.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby spambait » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:57 pm

I read the post differently than the admin ie. it sounds like he can download the files, but can't execute BRU. Is this your first install of BRU? I ask because Kerio creates signatures of each executable, and will raise a red flag if that signature changes. If you installed a new version over the old, then Kerio will notice. Regardless of how it happened, Kerio needs to be told to allow BRU to run. Go into the options of Kerio, check your filters, delete anything related to BRU (if there happens to be a rule related to it), temporarily shut off any "deny all unspecificed" rules, and enable the option to have Kerio ask you what to do when it encounters a new application. Running BRU will then cause Kerio to pop up a window and ask you if you want to add it to the list of accepted apps.
spambait

Postby Admin » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:03 pm

My apologies. Yes, you are right, I had misread the OP's message.

BRU doesn't do anything "fancy" when it starts, other than invoking functions from the shared Microsoft MFC files. I'm not familiar with Kerio so I don't know what it would be trying to do.

Surely, a firewall should only block in/out IP traffic, not control which programs you can run? BRU doesn't do anything with IP/ports.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Problem solved

Postby Hochhaltinger » Wed May 03, 2006 9:44 am

Thank you for all the hints. Finally you were right, it was a specific setting in the Kerio firewall which I found and changed - now everything is fine.

thanks and bye!

Hochhaltinger
Hochhaltinger

Return to BRU Support