Batch process multiple folders (numbering)

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Batch process multiple folders (numbering)

Postby Megalos » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:18 pm

I was wondering if it's possible to automatically process subfolders using the same renaming filters. Now I have to process each folder separately. This is not a problem when there are only a few folders, but it becomes annoying when for example 50 folders have to be processed. In my case the renaming algorithm is the same for every folder. How should I batch rename multiple folders automatically instead of separately?
Last edited by Megalos on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Megalos

Re: Batch process subfolders

Postby Admin » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:10 am

Hi, in Selection (12), activate subfolders.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Batch process subfolders

Postby Megalos » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:52 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I tried that, but it doesn't work. I have for example folder 'A' with the following files: '1.jpg' and '2.jpg', and folder 'B' with the also the files: '1.jpg' and '2.jpg'. When apply my filter to the two files in folder 'A', the files are renamed to '01.jpg' and '02.jpg'. When I rename the files in folder 'B', they get the same names ('01.jpg' and '02.jpg). Both folders 'A' and 'B' are in the folder 'Root' for example. When I go to the 'Root' folder and tick the 'Subfolders' option, it renames the two files in folder 'A' to '01.jpg' and '02.jpg'; so far so good. But it renames the two files in folder 'B' to '03.jpg' and '04.jpg'. So it sees the contents in the two folders as being one list instead of two separate lists of files. Is it possible to batch rename the contents of multiple folders, where BRU sees them as two separate 'lists' instead of one big list? I realize now the topic title might be a bit misleading, better would be 'Batch process multiple folders' instead of 'Batch process subfolders'.

I don't know if it is of any use, but here's a link to my filter: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/38472922/Rename_AndorSolis.bru . Input files are of the form 1_X1.tif through1_X1000.tif. Output files should be 1_X0001.tif through 1_X1000.tif.
Megalos

Re: Batch process multiple folders

Postby Megalos » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:19 pm

Does anyone know whether this is currently possible using BRU?
Megalos

Re: Batch process multiple folders

Postby Admin » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:11 am

Hi, in the numbering section, there's an option called "folder", if you tick the "Folder" box and you're processing subfolders, the autonumber will reset upon a change of subfolder.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Batch process multiple folders (numbering)

Postby Megalos » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:42 pm

Thanks a lot! Together with unticking 'Folders' in the 'Selections' section, it works perfect! This saves some time :-).
Megalos

Return to BRU Support