once date is set, it is unchangeable

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

once date is set, it is unchangeable

Postby bloke » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:39 am

I posted this message earlier today, but the system has no record of it, so I am trying again...

I have been bulk processing many hundreds of photographs, and used BRD to reset the create-date and modified-date back to something approaching the original settings. Once done, however, windows will no longer reset the modified-date when the file is written. I can edit a file, save it back to the original place, but it still has the previously-set date and time. This makes it extremely difficult to keep track of which files I have edited.

Is there some way of relinquishing the death-grip the program apparently has over the dates of the files it modifies?

Thanks,

Phil.
bloke

Re: once date is set, it is unchangeable

Postby truth » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:29 am

Once BRU sets the create/modified-date, its done (theres no death-grip, lol)

However, apps may be written/configured to preserve modified-dates
What app are you editing the pictures with?
I'd look for the setting to change this, or use another app
truth

Re: once date is set, it is unchangeable

Postby bloke » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:37 am

I'm not using apps. Standard windows programs is all. I use a bunch of them - photoshop, Irfanview, a whole bunch. If I write a file back with any one of them, they can no longer update the 'last modified' date and time within windows.

I don't understand why this should be different. If I set the time/date by any other method - by writing to it - then the next time I write to it, the date/time gets reset to the current time. After setting it with BRU, windows will no longer display any other date/time than the one I set. It shouldn't be anything to do with the program I am using, this is standard windows stuff. If you modify a file, the last modified date/time should be reset. Somehow, BRU is locking the date/time to prevent this.

I don't want to *preserve* the modified dates, I want to set them to the current date/time, as happens with every other program.

Phil.
bloke

Modified-Dates cannot be locked

Postby truth » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:39 am

BRU doesnt 'lock' modified-dates, or write them in a format that prevents other apps from modifying them.
I compared both formats in a hex editor, the file-table-entries were identical.

Either your apps are preserving modified-dates, or they're not displaying the correct modified-dates.
To prove this: Open your files in Windows Explorer, View/Details, add DateModified column if not present.
Right-click a picture-file, select Rotate-Clockwise, and watch the modified-date change.

Out of curiosity, I downloaded a portable version of Irfanview v4.36 to find this setting:
File/Save(OriginalFolder)/SaveWithOriginalDate, it must be UNchecked to change modified-dates.
There could be additional settings for batch-processing/plug-ins/etc.

Other apps have other settings, you just have to find them (prob not your issue, using soo many apps).
Unfortunately, apps can also be written/configured to display other exif-dates as their 'modified-date'.
In either case, BRU is not your culprit.
truth

Return to BRU Support