copying filenames structure

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

copying filenames structure

Postby slepy8 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:24 pm

Hey Guys.
New to BRU, and can't find what I'm looking for.

Although tried to use search on this forum - no outcome..

I have 8 folders. In each one there is a subfolders and files structure.
Subfolders, and names are the same name in each of those 8 main folders.

Can I use BRU to (after naming all files in one main folder) copy names to files in other main folders?

To explain:
This is a structure of images of something seen from 8 sides. The images showing the same thing in different views have to be the same name. But the names have to be given - for each file. As far as the names will be the same in all 8 main folders I thought it would be easier to make work done for one main folder, and just copy filenames to other folders..

Is it possible?
slepy8

Re: copying filenames structure

Postby truth » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:09 am

Is this close to your DirStructure ???
MainDir\
.............................. FileEx1 .... FileEx2
.......... SubDirFront\ ... DNAqx .... Funnel-jz
.......... SubDirBelow\ ... DNAqx .... Funnel-jz
.......... SubDirAbove\ ... DNAqx .... Funnel-jz
.......... SubDirEtc\ ....... DNAqx .... Funnel-jz

I understand the 8 SubDirs: 1 for each different angle-view of the the same-named image
but... Is it possible for 1 SubDir to have both DNAqz and Funnel-jz (as well as others) ?
Or is MainDir named as DNAqx or Funnel-jz, etc?.. Do SubDir names vary?

When you say that you only want to rename files in one main Dir (as a filename-template):
Do you mean 1 of the 8 SubDirs, or the MainDir above them (with some master 'all-sided' image)?

Seems like it'd be easier to rename all 8(9?) versions at the same time, since filenames are identical
Anything affecting 1-file, identically affects the others, as long as they're selected (sort by name)
I would just select the MainDir, & then check 12SubFolders & 12Files (12Folders unchecked)
If your problem is too many files being displayed, you can always 12Filter some away

This sounds too easy, I'm prob missing something, either in DirStructure or rename preferences?
Renaming in just 1 SubDir seems like it'd create problems: What matches them to ones needing renamed.
You could just make triple-sure that renames didnt affect ordering, but its still extra work you shouldn't need
truth

Postby slepy8 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:37 am

explanation:
I have:

DIR01/subdir/xyz.jpg (and many more files in subdirs)
DIR02/subdir/xyz.jpg
DIR03/subdir/xyz.jpg

in DIR01 - DIR08 structure of subfolders and files are exactly the same (and names).

So. I want to change names of ALL files in ALL DIR's. But in DIR01 all files will have same names as in DIR02-DIR08.
So I'd like to change names only in DIR01 and copy this change to other DIR's.
slepy8

Postby truth » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:11 pm

OK, think I've got it, is this closer?
........................ Name (description)
MainDir01 \ SubDir \ DNA (front-view) (along with many other front-view filenames)
MainDir02 \ SubDir \ DNA (above-view)
MainDir03 \ SubDir \ DNA (etc-view)
- thru -
MainDir08\

What is the ParentDir to MainDirs?
Does ParDir contain any Dirs other than MainDir01-08?
Do MainDirs contain any SubDirs other than those mentioned?
truth

Return to BRU Support