rename multiple files at one time

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

rename multiple files at one time

Postby abdu_mka » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Dear all
First thank you so much for the great utility ,
my scenario is : I have about 25 folders for artists , each folder has about 100 mp3 files , named ( 001.mp3 , 002.mp3 , 003.mp3 ,,,,,,100.mp3 )
I want to change all 001.mp3 files in all folder to 001-first.mp3 , and 002 in all folders to 002-second.mp3 and so on
i can do all files in one folder file by file . but I wish I can then make the change to other folders automatically

can anyone help please ?

abdu_mka

Rename pairs and multiple directories

Postby truth » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:05 am

Your best option is to 1st create a file for rename-pairs in the format:
001.mp3|001-first.mp3
002.mp3|002-second.mp3
003.mp3|003-third.mp3

Once finished, you have different options to select which folder-contents are affected:
The easiest way is to select a ParentDirectory (with only 12Files & 12SubFolders checked)
If for some reason, your DirStructure doesnt allow for that, use WindowsExplorer to list your ~25 folders
Then drag the folders from Explorer into BRU's right-pane (nothing is copied, it's just a folder-selector)

Once all the filenames appear in BRU: File / Import-RenamePairs / Choose-your-file-with-the-rename-pairs
You can then rename ALL of your files simultaneously

To get started on the rename-list, you can:
Choose 1 folder in BRU / Select the mp3's / RightClickThem / ClipBoard-Copy / Filename+Extension
Then open Notepad and paste, this creates text in the format shown above (without |NewName)
truth

Return to BRU Support