No Uninstall v2.5.4.0

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

No Uninstall v2.5.4.0

Postby Gecko » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:00 pm

I have Bulk Rename Utility 32bit 2.5.4.0 on Win XP which I want to update. However I can’t find any uninstall utility. Advice on whether removal needed before update on the website is contradictory.
Can I get or find an unstall?
Can I just “delete” this version will there be any files I should keep or left I need to get rid of?
Can I just install 2.7.1.2 over the top?
Gecko

How to uninstall a application program Bulk Rename Utility

Postby Stefan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:24 pm

Must I uninstall the software before installing an update?
No, you can simply download and run the latest installer from our web site and it will automatically update your installation.
http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Faq.php

If you have used a previous version of the software prior to version 2.7.1.0, then you should uninstall it before installing the new version.
This is because version 2.7.1.1 and later uses a new installer technology. Future versions will upgrade your installation, provided you have version 2.7.1.1 or later installed.
http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Download.php

- - -

I provide you here a short how-to. Please test it and report any issues so we can update this uninstall guide if needed.

To Uninstall with the Installer
If you have installed "Bulk Rename Utility" with the setup.exe, then you should have an entry in the "Uninstall a Program" Control Panel.

** Click on the Start button on the taskbar.
** Then click on the Control Panel icon.
** Double-click the "Add or Remove Programs" or the "Uninstall a program" icon.
** A list of programs installed will be populated, this may take a bit of time.
** In this list please find the program that you would like to remove.
** Click Change (or Change/Remove) or the Uninstall button to start the uninstall process.
** A wizard should then open, which will guide you through the rest of the uninstall.
** Often the settings and own data are left over and so the program folder too. (But not true for every application)
-- If you don't want to keep them for to use after an re-installation, you can delete them manually. Or just let it be.
** For some applications you have the restart your box to complete the uninstall.

Note:
The "Bulk Rename Utility" application as such can be used portable.
It is enough to download the ZIP archive, extract and use that for working.
The Installer is only for convenience to create the start menu entry and register the "Bulk Rename Here" explorer context menu feature.
You can do that all yourself if you know how.

To manually uninstall do this steps:

** Close Bulk Rename Utility

** (perhaps restart your box)

** unregister the context menu feature

Press the Windows and R keys at the same time. This will bring up the Run dialog box. Type cmd and click the OK button.
Note: for Vista and Win7, you have to launch a elevated Command Prompt: Click Start and type cmd at the search box. Hold Ctrl+Shift keys and click at cmd.exe
The Windows Command Prompt will appear.

Attention for 64-bit WIndows systems:
To work on 32-bit DLLs on 64-bit Windows systems, launch: %systemroot%\SysWoW64\regsvr32.exe
To work on 64-bit DLLs on 64-bit Windows systems, launch: regsvr32.exe (from %systemroot%\System32\, but that is the default anyway for the default 64-bit cmd.exe)
On 32-bit Windows systems there is only one regsvr32.exe, so just calling regsvr32.exe without any path is fine.

The command to register the context menu item is as follow:
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Bulk Rename Utility\BRUHere.dll"
The command to unregister the context menu item is as follow:
regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Bulk Rename Utility\BRUHere.dll"
(You may have to adjust the path to match your environment)

** delete the program folder
-- Settings files to keep, if wanted, for Bulk Rename Utility are those with INI, BRU and LOG extensions.

** search Application Data or AppData and/or All Users or ProgramData folder for folders with name of the application or vendor.
-- If you don't want to keep your old settings, remove this program data folders too. Or let it be.

** delete the start menu folder

** Remove the "Bulk Rename Utility" registry keys if existent:
-- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Jim Willsher\
-- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TGRMN Software\

Done.

Stefan

Re: No Uninstall v2.5.4.0

Postby Gecko » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:41 pm

Thanks Stefan
I followed your instructions for manual uninstall, I then "ran ccleaner registry cleaner" which found some other BRU related items and deleted them.
I've now installed v2.7.1.2 which seems to be running fine and has uninstall in "add remove programs"
Regards
Gecko
Gecko

Return to BRU Support