BRU slow to launch via shell integration in Win 8.1

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Re: BRU slow to launch via shell integration in Win 8.1

Postby Admin » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:21 am

@CaryF
Do you also have another computer in the household that is sharing media files (pictures and audio) and it's showing up in the left pane under "This PC" as "Username (computername)" with a media server looking icon? Maybe that's the cause of the problem. I did not have any media servers in my test.

@Snard
If you disconnect the media server, does the delay in BRU stop?

thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:35 am

Update: yes, it's Windows Media Player and sharing music between PCs that is causing the reported BRU startup delay. Now we will have to find out why this is happening.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Snard » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:44 am

Admin wrote:@Snard
If you disconnect the media server, does the delay in BRU stop?

thanks

I removed those two "devices" and sure enough, BRU loads instantly now.

Hopefully there will be a way to tell BRU not to scan them, so I can add them back at some point.

Thanks!
Snard

Postby afroe » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:01 am

I consider myself one more occurrence of the strange "slow launch" issue, even though BRU is not starting for 5+ minutes for me, now.
My System: Win 8.1 (64bit) Enterprise.
When checking with TaskManager, I can see that BRU is constantly working at 9%CUP time, trying to connect to port 1400 of my router (not sure, there MIGHT be a connection with me having a SONOS sound system attached to that same router, as well).
Would getting a "dump" or a "minidump" from the time when BRU is stuck help? If so, please let me know.
TNX!
afroe

Postby afroe » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:10 am

UPDATE:
after removing the Sonos Speaker devices from windows "devices", BRU starts, though with a delay.
It continues to try to connect to "sonoszp" - which on my system resolves to my routers own IP.
afroe

Postby JST200 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:56 pm

Hi,

I don't know if this will help with the diagnosis or not, but I thought it worth mentioning.

I am running Windows 8.1 and have been for a while. However only just recently I discovered that the Bulk Rename Utility (a brilliant program by the way!) had started to take an age to load. This from launching from a desktop icon and not the shell integration. Looking at Task Manager and then Resource Monitor I could see that BRU was creating a lot of network traffic to my Windows 8.1 Server.

After reading through these series of posts I checked what Media Sharing settings I might have set on my server that would be similar to Admin's suggestions. I don't have Windows Media Player set to act as a Media Server on my Server, so not that.

Then I realised I had recently installed the Logitech Media Server on my server, to enable me to play synchronised music throughout my house (using Squeezeplay as it happens). I stopped the Logitech Media Server service (via the Logitech Media Server Control Panel) and lo and behold BRU on my desktop starts instantly!

So it seems BRU has a general problem with media servers, not just Windows Media Player.

Hope this helps!

Cheers, Jim
JST200

Postby afroe » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:05 pm

... as a WORKAROUND:
Mark BRU as "persona non grata" in the Windows Firewall - it will then start after some seconds:

* Click "Start" and type "Firewall"
* Select "Windows Firewall"
* Choose "Advanced Settings" (a new windows will open)
* On the left hand side, choose "Outbound Rule" and then "New Rule" on the right hand side
* Type of rule to create is "Program".
* Enter path to your BRU.exe (C:\Program Files\Bulk Rename Utility\Bulk Rename Utility.exe)
* Choose "Block the connection" on the next screen;
* On the next screen, if you check only "PRIVATE", then BRU will still be able to access "the Internet" and can, for example, check whether new versions are available. Check or uncheck "Domain" or "Public" at your own discretion".
* Now give the Rule a reasonable name, and you're done.
afroe

Postby spambait » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:14 am

Same issue here. BRU running on Win 8.1 very slow start after I installed a Win7 file server and turned on Windows Media Player streaming ie. Microsoft's DLNA service. BRU seems to take an age to scan the entire media server every startup. Firewall workaround stated above works (although it's still slower than before I turned on the media server).
spambait

Re: BRU slow to launch (possible solution)

Postby aalford » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:07 pm

I have had BRU loading slowly on W8.1 (loading from the Start screen).

This started after I used File - Save As to create a .bru file to remember the rename settings.
When I deleted the .bru file, BRU opened instantly.

If I save a new .bru file the problem returns.
If I rename this .bru file, the utility opened instantly.
If I then open the renamed .bru file it reverts to opening slowly.

It appears to the the favourite path.
Even though I haven't ticked any options under Options - Favourites, the ini file is adding a Favourite Path entry at the end.
If I delete this line manually, or delete/rename the actual .bru file it refers to, then the utility opens instantly next time.
The problem returns as soon as I open or create a .bru file.

Does this shed any light ?
Andy
aalford

Postby LtlTwister » Tue May 13, 2014 10:22 pm

Will someone please stop this madness and fix this issue?? I need to rename files, not sit and wait up to an hour for the 1) utility to open OR 2) it to open every file in every folder on every computer on my network!! So frustrating... :(
LtlTwister

Postby LtlTwister » Tue May 13, 2014 10:36 pm

Ok, I got it to work. I deleted all of my saved .bru files, opened the Task Manager and selected Bulk Rename Utility in the list and chose to "End Task". Bulk Rename Utility consistently opens and works perfectly now!! This is definitely an issue caused by any saved .bru files. Nothing I'm not willing to work around but I don't have many changes to make in the main screen each time. I feel bad for those of you that do because then it would be a major pain! :(
LtlTwister

Postby Admin » Thu May 15, 2014 12:41 am

@LtlTwister - are you also running a media server?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby JSC632 » Thu May 15, 2014 1:31 am

I am having a very similar problem yet not exactly the same. I used BRU on Win 7 without any issues. On Win 8.1, I do not have any trouble launching BRU but when I try to navigate to a file location it can be slow or take forever depending on how I choose to get there.

If I manually expand the file tree to drill down to the subfolder I want, BRU can be a little stilted when it opens each folder. There are 3-5 second pauses on each folder. It is not smooth and fast, but I can get there and do what I need to do, just a little slower. However, the bugaboo is when I select from the menu Actions -> Jump to Path. Once I type in the path I want and hit Enter, it can take 20-40 minutes for BRU to get to that folder. It doesn't seem like BRU is doing anything at first, but after about 7-8 minutes it visibly shows the expansion of the file tree, folder by folder -- no stone left unturned. It appears BRU is opening every folder to index the drive. In fact, it's not just opening every folder in the file tree of my 1TB internal hard drive, it's also opening every folder on the file tree on my 3TB NAS. If this only occurred once, I could understand, but BRU does this every time it opens and I attempt to jump to a file path. Worse, if I leave BRU up and running, after about 20-30 minutes BRU forgets the indexing it performed previously and wants to re-index the whole thing all over again.

I do not have on the network an Xbox, Playstation, Sonos or any other kind of music file system. I do have music files on the NAS but my collection is small, perhaps 20GB. I only have about 1TB in files on the 3TB drive, mostly photos and videos, so if that thing were nearly full I'm sure BRU would likely take over an hour to do index everything. Having BRU index the drive where I am attempting to jump to a particular folder is okay, I guess, but why it needs to index an entirely different drive (the NAS) makes no sense.

This behavior is strange under Win 8.1 when it never did this under Win 7. Does anyone have a solution to this indexing/expanding-file-tree issue?
JSC632

Postby Admin » Thu May 15, 2014 2:21 am

I'll need to have a look at the BRU code. I am not sure why this would happen only on Win 8.1 and not on Win 7 :?:
Admin
Site Admin

Postby maxbox » Wed May 21, 2014 5:38 pm

Hi, I give my experience about the error. I use a win 8.1 version with the last update, but from win 8.1 and later I have problem with BRU.
When I use Bulk Here function with right mouse button the system stalls for 6-8 seconds and then appear this pop-up :

I translate for you the pop-up text : " FTP service don't found on destination Device "

Then I try to give BRU the admin privilege. I wente in the BRU directory and right clic to the BRU exe file and gave the admin privilege for all user.
When I start BRU here function this pop-up appear :

For my opinion the error is with the BRUhere64.dll .
Infact if I try to launch directly the BRU exe, or if I open a file with bru extention there is no problem at all. The BRU window appear instantly.
Can you help me with this error ?
maxbox

PreviousNext

Return to BRU Support