Can't access my files

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Can't access my files

Postby jimr » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:28 am

I've used BRU for a couple of years but now I can't find my data files in User folders in the folder tree. If I click on Import Rename - Pairs under File I find all of my folders in my library. However opening C drive my user profile and folders do not appear in Users. Can anyone please help.
jimr

Default settings-file

Postby truth » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:45 pm

Just curious, are you right-clicking MyComputer to launch BRU?
That might prevent BRU from finding its settings-files?

Also, are you clicking just below RenamePairs & choosing a settings-file instead ?
There should be a .ini file in BRU's directory, with a line telling BRU where to find its settings-file:
Favourite Path="C:\PathToYourSettingsFile\FileName.bru"

If the .ini line points to a good file, I'd look inside the .bru file for any discrepancies.
You can also manually change settings in BRU, then choose File/SaveAs to set a new default settings-file.
Hope it helps.
truth

Re: Can't access my files

Postby jimr » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:12 am

Thanks Truth,
1. To go back a couple of steps, BRU had been working fine. I don't know whether I did something I shouldn't have somewhere or not.
2. I have uninstalled BRU and reinstalled it from a new download .exe
3. I'm double clicking on the desktop shortcut
4. The .ini path is “Favourite Path=""”
5. There is no .bru file mentioned in the BRU directory
6. I don't know whether it means anything but BRU doesn't show in users\public\desktop whereas all of my other application shortcuts are included
7. I'm tech ignorant and running Windows 7 and I can't find where any of my data is within C:\ but can find the data under the W7 library structure.
jimr

Need .bru settings-file

Postby truth » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:53 am

I would launch BRU, & manually make the changes I prefer as defaults.
At least make sure 12Filter=* and check the 12Files, etc (whatever else you want defaults to be)
Once done, while in BRU: click File/SaveAs, & take note of the DirPath\Name before clicking save.

From there you should be OK!
It should create a new .bru settings-file AND modify the .ini-line (tells BRU where to find it)
Sometimes the .ini-line fails to update, but you can always manually edit that line, the format is:
Favourite Path="C:\My Apps\BRU\Whatever.bru"

Right now, you have no .bru settings-file and a blank 'FavPath' line that doesnt point-to-it anyways.
While the above fixes this, it relies on being able to create the .bru settings-file, the pointer is easy.
If for any reason that fails, please post the error message.

The only folder you should have to deal with is where you found the .ini file
Just verify that BRU, *.ini, and *.bru all reside within that same directory to make it easy

You might want to check-out the desktop shortcut? Make sure its not pointing to an uninstalled BRU?
(You could delete it & create a new one by right-click-dragging the new BRU to the desktop.)
Sounds like you did everything right, 1st uninstalling & then installing, hard to say what went wrong.

Sorry, I dont mean to make it sound complicated, its really just 2-steps:
1st you create the .bru settings-file, & then make sure your .ini points-to-it.
truth

Postby jimr » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:10 am

I created the 12File but couldn't save the file in the BRU folder because my system said I didn't have administrator rights (my W7 user profile does give me Administrator) so saved the .bru file in my data folders.
The Favourite Path in the .ini file now shows the correct path to the created .bru file.
I have deleted the desktop shortcut and re-created the shortcut. In the shortcut properties I have now ticked the box to run the program as an administrator.
I still can't get BRU to show where my data files are.
jimr

Need .bru settings-file

Postby truth » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:57 pm

You dont have a file-create-permission within BRU's directory ??
That's handled with a good install, it certainly explains why you had no .bru settings file.
What account initiated the uninstall? The directory should've been completely removed.

Can you verify your filenames/data as follows (omit nothing):

==== BRU directory =====
C:\Dir1\SubDir\___.exe
C:\Dir1\SubDir\___.ini (with the Favourite Path="______.bru")
C:\Dir1\SubDir\___.bru (if any exist in same directory)

C:\xxxx\yyyyyy\___.bru (the one just created in 'data folders')

When the .ini points to a good .bru file, you should be OK
Its important to verify those filenames/data before going any further.
Also, you might prefer a more thorough uninstall (via admin) versus fixing manually.
truth

Postby jimr » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:35 am

Thanks again for your support. After reading your last post I again uninstalled BRU by Programs and Features in Control Panel and manually deleted the desktop shortcut. I found that the uninstall hadn't removed the BRU folder in Program Files. My system wouldn't let me delete the folder so I renamed it to xxxx_old.

I again downloaded the BRU .exe using:
Bulk Rename Utility (64-bit), version 2.7.1.2 for Windows 8 (64-bit), 7 (64-bit), Vista (64-bit), XP (64-bit), 2012 (64-bit), 2008 (64-bit), 2003 (64-bit). Complete with installer
After reinstalling, Favourite Path="" again appeared
I saved the .bru but the path didn't appear in the .ini so manually entered it as:
Favourite Path="C:\Users\Jim and Mary\Documents\library\My Pictures\bru_fav.bru"

Files in the BRU directory are:
C:\Program Files\Bulk Rename Utility\BRUChangelog.pdf
C:\Program Files\Bulk Rename Utility\BRUhere64.dll
C:\Program Files\Bulk Rename Utility\Bulk Rename Utility.chm
C:\Program Files\Bulk Rename Utility\Bulk Rename Utility.exe
C:\Program Files\Bulk Rename Utility\Bulk Rename Utility.ini
C:\Program Files\Bulk Rename Utility\License.txt
C:\Program Files\Bulk Rename Utility\Tips.txt
C:\Program Files\Bulk Rename Utility\unins000.dat
C:\Program Files\Bulk Rename Utility\unins000.exe

Directory print for the .bru is:
C:\Users\Jim and Mary\Documents\library\My Pictures\bru_fav.bru

With all of the above the user profile for Jim and Mary still does not display under Users in the BRU file tree.
jimr

Uninstall / Re-Install

Postby truth » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:16 pm

I'm hoping the uninstall/install didnt fail elsewhere?
I was mostly concerned that you originally installed via admin, but then uninstalled via non-admin?

I'd still try uninstalling (& manually deleting folder/shortcuts/etc as before if needed)
Then right-click the BRUinstaller.exe to run with elevated privileges, that should set the right permissions?
BRU itself, once installed, shouldnt need to run as admin

There's nothing wrong in your file-structure/locations, but there's definitely some permission issues.
To clarify: What account is running BRU, when it cant access the user-folder: 'Jim and Mary' ?
Are other user-files visible? That confirms a permission-issue (not fixed via .ini/.bru)

IF the elevated install fails to restore functionality:
You can always give yourself permissions from an elevated command-prompt:

icacls "C:\Users\Jim and Mary" /T /C /grant "UserWhoNeedsIt":(OI)(CI)F
would give 'UserWhoNeedsIt' full access into 'Jim and Mary' folders/files
(you obviously shouldnt need to, if logged-on as 'Jim and Mary')

icacls "C:\Program Files\Bulk Rename Utility" /T /C /grant ''UserWhoRunsBRU":(OI)(CI)F
would give ''UserWhoRunsBRU" full access with BRU's folder.

Hopefully you dont need any of that, seems like the elevated install should do it.
If not, post pack. Im curious either way.
truth

Postby jimr » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:24 am

Truth, thank you for your perseverance.

I again uninstalled everything. I could, this time, delete the BRU folder left behind in PROGRAMS so all of BRU was removed.

Installed BRU by right-click as detailed in the 2nd para of your last post and re-created the .ini path and also the shortcut.

I'm running BRU from Jim and Mary. The shortcut Properties-Securities for Jim and Mary are the same as Administrator showing Allow for all permissions other the “special permissions”.

Users in the BRU file tree still only show:
AppDate
Public
Jim and Mary doesn't show up under Users.
With regards to Permissions, Jim and Mary is also Administrator.

Users in Windows Explorer also only show:
AppDate
Public
Generally I access all applications data from within Desktop-Libraries-Jim and Mary-Library-”folders and files”

Still under Users, in both BRU and Windows Explorer, Public-Desktop lists all of my shortcuts other than BRU.

No other user files are visible from the BRU file tree.

I'm lost when it comes to following your suggestion icacls "C:\Users\Jim and Mary" /T /C /grant "UserWhoNeedsIt":(OI)(CI)F .

With all of the above it looks as though your thought of a permission issue (not fixed via .ini/.bru) is most likely and that I will have to call in a Windows tech unless you have further suggestions.
jimr

Folder's hidden-attribute set?

Postby truth » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:02 pm

Step1 is getting Windows Explorer to display 'C:\Users\Jim and Mary'. Until then, BRU wont see it either.
At this point, you seem to have verified both file-structure/permissions, no need for icacls/re-installs.
Note that I'm talking strictly about actual directories (not libraries which point to them).

I'm guessing maybe something set the hidden-attribute for 'Jim and Mary' ??
BRU install/uninstalls would not have done this, so I'd be suspicious of what did.
I'd go into Folder-Options to make sure explorer will show hidden folders/files.

If so, you could remove the hidden-attribute (or configure BRU with 12Hidden=checked)
If I come up with any other potential causes/fixes, I'll post back.
truth

Renaming bulk images from excel/text file's list

Postby atish.dharerao » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:40 am

Hi,

I have a excel list and i also created a list of old and new name list in text as suggested from your site.

857001.tiff|29079600106115.tiff
857002.tiff|29079600106071.tiff
857003.tiff|29079600106056.tiff
857004.tiff|29079600106045.tiff
857005.tiff|29079600106060.tiff

I can able to select this saved text file from BRU application as 'File-import rename pairs - then select the text file where it is saved' but after selected it doesn't show in the BRU window so please advice where is am wrong?

Thank you.

Regards - Atish
atish.dharerao

Postby truth » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:45 am

Atish, nothing displays in BRU's window after clicking 'open'.
If you need to edit any names in the file, it must be done before importing.
If Actions / Clear Imported-Pairs is grayed-out, the file isnt loaded.
truth

Postby sonofamonkey10 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:53 pm

I had the same issue and I think I might have found a resolution (or at least a work around).

If the folder you are trying to access is in your "Libraries", then your Documents may be hidden from BRU and even Windows Explorer. With some research, I found that sometimes a folder attribute can keep it from showing up (see link below). So, by running the command

attrib -s -h c:\users\*your user name*\Documents

your Documents folder and subfolder should now be visible in BRU and WE. If it doesn't work at first, try changing the attribute on your user folder:

attrib -s -h c:\users\*your user name*

Please don't ask me how all that works; I just got lucky finding the right piece of info.

Please post your results.

link to folder attribute changes - http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/197219-missing-users-folder-explorer.html
sonofamonkey10

Return to BRU Support