File names too long to burn CD's or DVD's

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

File names too long to burn CD's or DVD's

Postby JOEinMARYLAND » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:45 pm

Hello, I am backing up a users files and burning the backup to CD's or DVD's. When I begin the burning process I get an error stating the file names are too long. The user has 1000's of files that are too long. I need to shorten the names that are too long to 110 characters maximum (including their paths) {some of them have sub folders}. I read through this discussion board and the users guide but Im still unsure how I can change all of the file names to a maximum of 110 characters. I did notice the section on the Bulk Rename Utility User Interface called SELECTIONS (12). It looks like I can specify a Name and Path Minmim and Maximum length. However I am unsure how to actually do this. Before I just jump in and possibly mess something up, I thought it best to ask here first! Any help you can give me to change all file names that are too long (including their paths) to a maximum length of 110 characters would be greatly appreciated! Then I should be able to continue burning CD's and DVD's. Thank you in advance for yuour assistance. Have a wonderful day.
JOEinMARYLAND

PathNames too long for burning format

Postby truth » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:12 am

I'd first check the burning app to see if it provided any such options.
BRU's PathLength & NameLength work independently of one-another's settings.
You cant set Path+NameLength=TotalMinimum (to view too-long Path+Names).

You cant sync the 2 values, so if 1 increases, the other decreases to keep Path+Name constant.
Im not aware of any versions that set a total for both of those settings combined.

You'd have to manually update both Path/NameLengths if traversing SubDirs with different #chars.
Also, file-renaming wont resolve TooLongDirNames in Path (even if renamed to a single-char).

You could use explorer's search to view PathNames beyond a certain char-length.
The below lists 111Char+ PathNames at or below C:\users\Joe (explorer's SearchSubDirs=Checked)
path:C:\users\Joe\*???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????*
Just make sure explorer's CurDir isnt below Joe, as it only searches downward (regardless of spec'd path!)

The 111 ???s represent either DirName or FileName characters in PathName after Joe\
If your burning app actually writes Joe as ParentDir, use 107 instead (since Joe\ needs 4chars).
You could then drag the files into BRU's right-pane for mass renaming.

What you do from there depends on DirStructure & filenames, you may want to let the user decide?
Renaming 1 SubDir could potentially fix alot of PathNames, if WayTooLongFilenames are the problem,
theres some regexes at www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1599 (bottom)
designed to match filenames by #chars, & keep only some of those chars, depends what you need.

Post back if you need any regex help, or a batch to pre-check for too-long PathNames beforehand.
Sorry I cant be of more help than using explorer as the PathName-matcher, I'm no fan of it either.
truth

Return to BRU Support