Appending Folder Names - Newbie Help Please

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Appending Folder Names - Newbie Help Please

Postby PeterB » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:52 am

Hi all,

I've just been recommended this software (which at first glance looks extremely powerful) and wanted to ask whether it could do what I am after.

I've got a number of folders containing sub-folders which contain files.

For example,

c:\Photos\2013\January
c:\Photos\2013\February
c:\Photos\2013\March
etc.

What I'd like to do is to rename all the sub-folders so they contain the parent folder name as well as the original sub-folder name and then copy those newly named folders and their contents to another area of my disk

For example,
c:\NewPhotos\2013-January
c:\NewPhotos\2013-February
c:\NewPhotos\2013-March
etc.

Is this possible with BRU? Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Peter
PeterB

Re: Appending Folder Names - Newbie Help Please

Postby PeterB » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:30 pm

Sorry to clog the forum up with my initial query. I've now discovered what I was doing wrong. Operator error I'm afraid :oops:

Interestingly I get an "access is denied" message when I tick the "Copy not Move" box. I've run as administrator and tried rebooting. If I'm in Explorer I can rename the folders. However in BRU whether using the bulk process or doing it manually via F2 it comes up with the error message.

This hasn't held be back as I've just made a backup copy of my original folders so using move didn't have any risk to it.

As I thought this is a great utility although someone may want to investigate the above as a forum search shows someone else with the same issue.

Thanks

Peter
PeterB

CopyNotMove only works for Files, not Folders

Postby truth » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:43 am

Glad to see you resolved 9AppendFolderName and 13NewPath

Unfortunately, 13CopyNotMove only works for Files, not Directories.
Selecting DirNames with CopyNotMove always generates that 'access denied' rename-error.

Since your goal is moving Dirs, I'd uncheck 13CopyNotMove & ensure:
Options/OverwriteTargetFiles=UNChecked to prevent risk of data-loss.
It ensures a prompt if pre-existing DirNames already exist, & wont move such Dir(s).
truth

Re: Appending Folder Names - Newbie Help Please

Postby PeterB » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:39 am

Many thanks for the reply Truth and the confirmation about the access denied issue I was having.
PeterB

Return to BRU Support