Newbie to BRU and regular experssions needs help

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Newbie to BRU and regular experssions needs help

Postby Neil Jones » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:34 am

I've read the pdf help file for BRU. It's clear to me that I am going to have to learn how to be proficient with regular expressions. I have a ton of folders where I wish to remove spaces between words and insert underscores. I've experimented but I'm not able to make my regular expressions work. Can someone post the regular expression for this so I can see what I'm doing wrong. Also, is there a good video tutorial on using regular expressions that relates to renaming files and folders that would help me out?
Neil Jones

How-to utilize regular expression to change space to undersc

Postby Stefan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:09 pm

Hi Neil Jones, welcome!

PLEASE next time write a proper subject line better describing your issue!
Like e.g. "How-to utilize regular expression to change space to underscore?"
NOT such senseless "I want to rename, how?", because that's self-evident :D

Neil Jones wrote:I've read the pdf help file for BRU.
It's clear to me that I am going to have to learn how to be proficient with regular expressions.
I have a ton of folders where I wish to remove spaces between words and insert underscores.
I've experimented but I'm not able to make my regular expressions work.
Can someone post the regular expression for this so I can see what I'm doing wrong.
Also, is there a good video tutorial on using regular expressions that relates to renaming files and folders that would help me out?

To just change spaces to something other you need no RegEx at all.

Just utilize

Repl.(3)
Replace: SPACE
With: UNDERSCORE

- - -

If you still need an RegEx pattern, then post before/after examples what you want to achieve.

Ohh, and:
with BRU you can't utilize RegEx at all to just change all spaces, no matter where they appear.
With BRUs RegEx engine you have to match the whole name (before and after the spaces) too!
So you have to find an common pattern to all your file names (or select them group wise, if you would have to use different pattern)

-

Please wait a few seconds then submit. Thank you.
Stefan

Re: Newbie to BRU and regular experssions needs help

Postby Neil Jones » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:36 pm

Stefan,

That was easy enough, thanks.

If I need to make changes to the same folders that reside on different hard drives can this be done in one shot?

Is it possible to make sure every letter that's followed by an underscore is capitalized even if I have different length strings in the file name? How would I do this?
Neil Jones

Return to BRU Support