Rename and Sort Pictures

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Rename and Sort Pictures

Postby DustL82 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:38 pm

My dilemma...

I'm auto uploading pictures from my cell phone to Dropbox which is then synced to my home PC. I want to use BRU to pick up image files in that folder and then move them to a backup drive sorted into folders by Year and then YYYY-MM-DD. I can accomplish the basic move and rename of the files but I can't figure out a way to make the folder path dynamic within the drive I am moving to. The desired path in my case would be G:/Pictures/YYYY/YYYY-MM-DD/filename.ext.

Ideally I will tie this all together with a Belevedere script to auto trigger the above. Picasa will see the files in their new location and auto upload to Picasa Web Albums (smaller size for unlimited uploads) and the pictures will be auto backed up again via CrashPlan in their full original size. Photos backed up and available every where!
DustL82

Auto-Create DirPaths from a file's ExifDate

Postby truth » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:14 am

Unfortunately, BRU wont set dynamic move-to directories.
Was it your goal is to eventually script BRU with Belvedere??
So far as I know, BRU only accepts DirPath as a parameter (to set CurDir).

I favor commandline tools like sed/exiftool/jhead/etc for automating such tasks.
Heres a few example batchlines that Belvedere could launch, as your files sync from DropBox.

jhead -exonly -n"G:\Pictures\%%Y\%%Y-%%m-%%d\%%f" "C:\YourSyncedFolder\*.jpg"
exiftool -filename^<DateTimeOriginal -d "G:\Pictures\%%Y\%%Y-%%m-%%d\%%%%f.%%%%e" "C:\YourSync'dFolder"

In both cases, DirStructures are created on-the-fly as needed to move the sync'd files.
No files are actually renamed, although its very easy to incorporate if you wish (unclear).
I also assumed you're referring to an ExifDate, though other dates can be matched as well.

Jhead processes noticeably faster, but insists on appending the .jpg extension.
ExifTool reads more dates (if needed), yet still processes faster than most graphical apps.

I've no experience using graphical apps to automate this, hard to make a recommendation.
I've heard good things about Den4b renamer, so it might be worth considering.
truth

Re: Rename and Sort Pictures

Postby Admin » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:19 am

Hi, you could use ViceVersa PRO to copy your files, it supports dynamic from and to folders: see www.tgrmn.com
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rename and Sort Pictures

Postby DustL82 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:05 pm

truth wrote:jhead -exonly -n"G:\Pictures\%%Y\%%Y-%%m-%%d\%%f" "C:\YourSyncedFolder\*.jpg"

Thanks for the help! I got the jhead command working and it seems to work like a charm for this purpose. Thanks again!
DustL82

Return to BRU Support