Can BRU be harmful to a Hard Drive?

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Can BRU be harmful to a Hard Drive?

Postby JackinYaBox » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:19 pm

Hello!

A few months back I bought an (admittedly cheap and probably dodgy) MP3 player off of Amazon, and wanted to organise a whole bunch of my music files to put onto the player. I found Bulk Rename Utility, which was exactly what I needed.

After using the utility on one large folder full of MP3's, and attempting to transfer the files to the MP3 player, my HDD corrupted. (Corrupted that particular sector at least; the folder which I used BRU on and transferred was totally inaccessible. Could not be accessed, or even deleted. Even clicking on the folder caused Windows Explorer and the Disk itself to crash, requiring a system reboot. Disk check utilities from Microsoft and the Drive Manufacturer would crash and go unresponsive.. that sector of the drive was totally un-salvageable. A tech friend of mine told me I'd need to stop using the drive altogether, as corruption can spread throughout the drive.)

Months later, I have a new phone and want to edit my massive music collection. I desperately want to use BRU, but I'm worried the same thing will happen again, and I could potentially damage my current drive / even my phone.

I'm not convinced that BRU was the cause. It could have been either BRU or the crappy cheap MP3 player I bought that's responsible.

I'm leaning towards thinking it's the MP3 player that caused the problems, but I wanted to come here and just check if stuff like this can be a result of using BRU. I really don't want to take the risk until my mind has been put at ease! Could someone tell me if BRU could cause such problems?

Thanks for reading. The Utility is brilliant, and I hope to be using it again soon!
JackinYaBox

Re: Can BRU be harmful to a Hard Drive?

Postby Admin » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:30 am

Hi, it was not BRU. BRU simply uses standard Windows API calls to rename files, as any other application would. Nothing low-level. thanks
Admin
Site Admin

BRU harmful to HDDs?

Postby truth » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:55 am

I can confirm the culprit isnt BRU, also note:
There was no problem BRU-ing filenames, the transfer itself did the corruption.

When a HDD's about to fail, its gonna fail, its just a matter of read/writes.
Since BRU mostly deals with filenames, not data, it issues far less read/writes than many apps.
(when compared to file-transferring .mp3's, less than .000001 %)

There used to be specialty file-transfer apps to access files by physical location,
(to minimize potentially dangerous head/platter movements during transfer).
But of course, they only help after knowing there's an HDD problem.
truth

Re: Can BRU be harmful to a Hard Drive?

Postby JackinYaBox » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:23 pm

Excellent, that's great to hear. Thanks for the replies!
JackinYaBox

Return to BRU Support