Appending multiple folder names

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Appending multiple folder names

Postby Mamagregory » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:02 pm

Hi - hoping you can help me, I did not find anything in the search. What I am trying to do is select multiple folders with files in them an append each of the files with the appropriate folder name.

So for example if I have 3 folders named:

HB1005
CNY1622
FC0086

and these folders have lists of coupon barcodes in them such as HB2013203553, HB2013203567, HB2013212654 etc.

I want them to all rename to the coupon name_folder name. So HB201303553_HB1005 etc.

Is this possible?

Clicking on each individual folder would not be worth it but my scanning software unfortanately does not have an option to append with folder name only date/time/specified text.

Hoping to find an easier solution. Any help appreciated, thank you! :mrgreen:
Mamagregory

Append FolderName to selected folders

Postby truth » Thu May 01, 2014 2:47 pm

Just drag the desired folders from explorer into BRU's right-pane, and the files will appear.
From there, 9AppendFolderName should handle it.
truth

Re: Appending multiple folder names

Postby ander » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:09 am

If I may "borrow" this thread, with a similar issue:

I have about 100 folders, each of which contains one file. I'd like to perform two actions on each filename:

1. Replace its last 5 characters with a space character.

2. Append its folder's name to it.

Is there a way to do this all at once? I want to apply these actions to just the files, not the folders. But when I clear the "Folders" checkbox at the bottom of BRU's window, the folders disappear from the right pane and can no longer be selected.

Till now, I thought the Folders and Files checkboxes affected which kinds of selected objects would be renamed, not whether they were visible or not. This seems inconsistent, since all of BRU's other settings pertain to renaming, not the view.

Wouldn't it make more sense for the Folders and Files checkboxes to determine whether the selected folders/files will be renamed, rather than showing or hiding them? Thanks!
Last edited by ander on Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
ander

Postby markcc » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:18 am

Hello ander, I do a similar rename frequently.

If you want to select the files inside the folders but not the folders themselves, you want to start from the parent directory and select both the Files and the Subfolders check boxes, but not the Folders box. This will display all the files in the right window. Change the Sort method to SubDir up top to make your display easier to read.

Then use Remove (5) and Add (7) to replace the last 5 characters with spaces, and then apply Append Folder Name (9) at the beginning or end.
BTW, if you are placing 5 spaces at the end to separate the filename from the directory name, you can simply type the 5 spaces as your separator (the Sep. box) within the 'append folder name' section, instead of using the Add function.

Hope this answers your question. Please let me know if this wasn't clear.
Mark
markcc

Postby ander » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:30 am

Ah, brilliant. So when you clear the Folders checkbox and BRU removes them from the right pane, it's actually a convenience: Since you won't be renaming them, they don't clutter the view.

Well, thanks, and sorry to be so thick—not enough coffee, obviously. :?)
ander

Return to BRU Support