BRU Create Folders and Move Files From Exif Info

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

BRU Create Folders and Move Files From Exif Info

Postby Tommy44 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:10 pm

I am trying to figure out how to do two things with BRU and can't quite get there. Your expertise would be greatly appreciated. I searched the forums and haven't seen this answered yet (unless I missed it or searched the wrong keywords).

I have 1 folder full of photo jpg files. I was BRU to do two things for me as detailed below.

1. Read the Exif date taken from each of the jpg files and create a new folder (or sub-folder) with the folder name being the Exif date taken in the format "YYYY-MM-DD"

2. Then I want BRU to move (or copy) each of the jpg files to the newly created folders based on the Exif date taken.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide. :)
Tommy44

Re: BRU Create Folders and Move Files From Exif Info

Postby truth » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:20 pm

BRU wont create new folders, it can only rename existing ones.
Similiar post @ http://bulkrenameutility.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2179

If you dont mind commandline apps, jhead & exiftool are a few that work.
Examples below assume your .jpg's at C:\Users\Tommy44\Pics, so edit as needed.
Both will create the properly named YYYY-MM-DD SubDir if needed to move files.

jhead -exonly -n"C:\Users\Tommy44\Pics\%Y-%m-%d\%f" "C:\Users\Tommy44\Pics\*.jpg"
exiftool -filename^<DateTimeOriginal -d "C:\Users\Tommy44\Pics\%Y-%m-%d\%%f.%%e" "C:\Users\Tommy44\Pics"

Remember, exif-data may contain alot of dates: DateDigitized/Modified/etc
Most people mean Exif:DateTimeOriginal when saying a jpeg's 'exif-date'.

Both commands are tailored for Exif:DateTimeOriginal, however:
The jhead command also accepts other exif-dates if DateTimeOriginal doesnt exist.
The exiftool command only accepts Exif:DateTimeOriginal (usually exists anyway).

Some people assign their own priority by using different exiftool lines in a batch like:
exiftool -filename^<DateTimeOriginal -d "C:\Users\Tommy44\Pics\%%Y-%%m-%%d\%%%%f.%%%%e" "C:\Users\Tommy44\Pics"
exiftool -filename^<CreateDate -d "C:\Users\Tommy44\Pics\%%Y-%%m-%%d\%%%%f.%%%%e" "C:\Users\Tommy44\Pics"
exiftool -filename^<ModifyDate -d "C:\Users\Tommy44\Pics\%%Y-%%m-%%d\%%%%f.%%%%e" "C:\Users\Tommy44\Pics"
exiftool -filename^<DateDigitized -d "C:\Users\Tommy44\Pics\%%Y-%%m-%%d\%%%%f.%%%%e" "C:\Users\Tommy44\Pics"

Each line moves files having its date-type, & next line continues with any files left-behind.
Those are all exif-dates, some go so far as to add lines with FileCreateDate, etc.
(If you decide to put the jhead command in a batch, remember to double all the %'s)

Sorry, I prob wont be able to post back, tried to include anything you might need.
Im sure there's prob graphical renamers for this as well, hope you find something useful.
truth

Return to BRU Support