Stupid(?) Rename Wildcard Question

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Stupid(?) Rename Wildcard Question

Postby -glenn- » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:01 pm

Hello,
First off, love the utility, it's saving me a ton of time.

I am coming from a windows/excel/word background and just cannot find how to do something that is probably ridiculously easy. I have searched, but to no avail.
Basically I can't find the wildcard indicator for the program.

Anyway I have a ton of files that contain various 'author' names in the files and I'd like to remove them. These names are always in parenthesis and are followed by a dash and static text. There may be 20 something authors for each company and I'd like to get rid of all of them at one shot per company.

For example:
Example 34 (2001) (author-company1name).xls

My thoughts were to use a replace of " (*-company1name)" with "" [nothing] but it isn't working.
I am sure I am just using the wrong wildcard symbol but am having a heck of a time figuring it out.

There is often other info in the filename (usually before of after the date), but I'd really only like to remove the (author-company) part.

Thanks.
-glenn-

Re: Stupid(?) Rename Wildcard Question

Postby Stefan » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:34 am

-glenn- wrote:Anyway I have a ton of files that contain various 'author' names in the files and I'd like to remove them.
These names are always in parenthesis and are followed by a dash and static text.
There may be 20 something authors for each company and I'd like to get rid of all of them at one shot per company.

For example:

Example 35 (2002) author-company1name.xls

TO:
Example 34 (2001).xls
Example 35.xls

RULE:
Remove last parentheses pair, by match opening parentheses and the rest till the end.
So the user should be sure to use this on files matching the provided example (two parentheses pairs) only!

USE:
RegEx(1)
Match: (.+) \(.+
Replace: \1

Stefan

Postby -glenn- » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:52 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I, unfortunately, started doing this the long way yesterday (I had originally mistakenly posted this in the BRC support section) so I don't think an all at once-solution is viable at this point, if it ever really was - I guess I should have mentioned that some of the files already didn't contain this author-company data.

I was really just hoping for a way to delete the (johnb-dannon) (steph-dannon) etc [all dannons] in one shot and then move on to the next company. It feels safer than potentially losing a date or some other info because a file didn't have a name/comp or I had already done it by hand.

I still have a lot more to do, so if you or anyone else knows a way I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Edit - I can use your formula (and will) to select individual/groups of files to change and that is helping speed the process up. Would still love a company-wide solution, but if it's no possible I am grateful for the help you've already provided. Thanks again.

Edit2 - I suppose if there was a way to automatically select only the filenames that had the company name in it this would be a perfect solution. Since I am 100% new to this utility I am unsure if that is within the realms of possibility.
-glenn-

Postby woreirsis » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:50 am

My thoughts were to use a replace of " (*-company1name)" with "" [nothing] but it isn't working.
I am sure I am just using the wrong wildcard symbol but am having a heck of a time figuring it out.

Return to BRU Support