replacing characters renaming question

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

replacing characters renaming question

Postby gwt10 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:34 am

Hello,

I'm trying to convert the following

01_A_New_Movie.avi
02_An_Old_Movie.mpg
03_The_Great_Movie.mpg
04_Next_Film.avi

If I tick Sym box, all the "_" underscore characters disappear, but it also takes away the "." right before the file extension and I don't want it to do that.

If I also tick the Word Space box, it will replace the "_" with a word space, but the file extension will still not have the "." right before it and it will run on to the last word.

For example: 01_A_New_Movie.avi - becomes - 01 A New Movieavi

I have the Options --> Ignore --> File Extensions option ticked under the Options menu but that didn't seem to help.

I guess the bottom line is, is there anyway to hide files extension ".avi, .mpg, .mkv, etc..." so the Bulk Rename program doesn't see them and hides them the same way Windows does when you tick the system-wide hide file extension box?

~

PS: I also want to replace the "_" underscore after the numbering to a "." period. I'm not sure how to do that.

Thanks
gwt10

Re: newbie character renaming question

Postby -glenn- » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:58 pm

Just a user here, but:

Why wouldn't you just use the replace box and replace "_" with a space?
For the . after the numbers you could use the add box to insert a "." at position 3 - if you then wanted to replace "01. " you can do another replace of ". " with "."
-glenn-

Postby gwt10 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:31 pm

-glenn- wrote:Just a user here, but:

Why wouldn't you just use the replace box and replace "_" with a space?
For the . after the numbers you could use the add box to insert a "." at position 3 - if you then wanted to replace "01. " you can do another replace of ". " with "."

Yeah but what about the file extension at the end?

Putting a "." three characters from the end?
gwt10

Postby -glenn- » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:24 pm

You'd never have gotten rid of the "." before the extension so it would still be there.
My suggestion was to use the Replace(2) box, not the Remove(5) box
-glenn-

Re: replacing characters renaming question

Postby asalspammer » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:59 am

Is there a way to turn Character Translations on & off easily without deleting the list when it is not required & readding the list when it is required?

Re: replacing characters renaming question

Postby Admin » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:45 pm

No, but you can save the list in a BRU file and open that file only when needed.
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support