How to separate parts of file names by spaces (PDF files)

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

How to separate parts of file names by spaces (PDF files)

Postby moarcoffee » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:03 pm

Good morning,

As mentioned in the title, I'm looking to rename around 4600 files (all are broken into various directories based upon their content). The naming schema is also not universal across all the directories and renaming everything manually is tedious and very slow-going. What does line up is that everything pretty much runs together in one obnoxiously long name without spaces.

In the current directory I'm in, the files are named as such:

"OneBigLongNamewithoutspaces021.pdf"

I need the NEW naming schema to be:
"One - Big Long Name With Spaces021.pdf"

In looking at the tool, I can't really puzzle out how to accomplish that. Any assistance in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
moarcoffee

How to separate parts of file names by spaces

Postby Stefan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:33 am

Hi moarcoffee,

"Bulk rename of 4600 PDF files" is not such a clever subject line, as everything here is about renaming. And the amount of files is not relevant either.

Better would be a subject related to your issue, like: "How to separate parts of file names by spaces"

- - -

TO:
"One - Big Long Name With Spaces021.pdf"

Unfortunately, no one knows where you want to split your names and insert a space, and there is no guess possible.

The only thing you could do is e.g. "Separate words by space at upper case letters".
"One Big Long Namewithoutspaces021.pdf" with something like "([a-z])([A-Z])" --> "\1 \2"
But BRU doesn't support this "in-between"-expression pattern, here you have to match the whole file name.
And if not all names share the same amount of parts to split, you would have to start several renaming runs.
Better try den4b ReNamer for that work.

But for the "Namewithoutspaces021" part, no one can guess anyway that you want to get "Name With Spaces021".

Stefan

Separate at Upper Case Letters Add Space split words

Postby Stefan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:15 pm

Silly me :? sorry.

TO:
"One Big Long Namewithspaces021.pdf"

USE:
Add(7)
[X] Word Space

Stefan

Return to BRU Support