Renaming files to match the filenames of another folder

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Renaming files to match the filenames of another folder

Postby emuola » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:32 am

Hi,

I try to explain my problem:

I have a directory of emulator rom-files and I also have a directory of screenshots of the rom files. I have 17000 screnshots and bout 8000 roms. So there a some unnecessary roms/several screenshots of a single rom.

Here's ans example:

rom-file: thing bounces back.xxx
screenshot-file: thingbouncesb.png

So the rom and screenshot files resemble eachother, but are not the same.

What I want to do:

Rename the screenshots according to the rom names, meaning the the "left overs" are deleted etc. Or of course the other way around. The goal is to have exactly the same number of roms and screenshots and rom names are exactly the same as sthe creenshot names. This requires some kind of "heuristic" to recognize the right file (because it's not exactly the same before renaming.)

Is this even possible ;)
emuola

Postby Admin » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:09 am

Hmmm.....not really. There's nothing that can be used to determine which files are which. I don't even think the "rename pairs from text file" facility would help.

I don't think you'll find any rename-software which will help here.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:22 pm

I haven't checked this site for a few days so pardon the belated response.
From the example you give I think this can be accomplished fairly easily with a few lines of a PERL script. I would have a better idea if I had a larger set of examples (perhaps 8-10) which represented a range of rom names and the associated multiple screenshot names. For the roms that have more than 1 screenshot, how do the screenshot names vary? Since this is a BRU forum, just click the PM button to respond with a private message so we don't clutter Jim's site with off topic material.

Hope I can help,
Glenn
Glenn

Return to BRU Support