Prefix ID3 Tags with Sequential Numbering

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Prefix ID3 Tags with Sequential Numbering

Postby Dumb User » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:09 pm

I am trying to create CDs for use in my automobile cd player. I want to generate sequential numbers that precede the existing Artist-Title tags in order to play the tracks in my sequence (not alphabetically). Since there will be over 100 mp3 tracks on each CD, I would like to generate a 3 digit decimal number that precedes the existing artist-title for each track.

I tried the %k "Bulk Rename Utility" variable, but that simply extracted the existing id3 track number from the original cd that contained the track. Since the 150 or so tracks came form multiple cds, that will not work.

Also, I want to preserve the existing artist-title information in the id3 tag, as at least part of this info will be displayed when the track is playing.

For example:

001ArtistABC-TitleDEF
002ArtistGHI-TitleJKL
003ArtistMNO-TitlePQR
etc.

Is it possible to do this id3 tag numerical prefix generation in bulk with "Bulk Rename Utility"? If not, is there any other utility that will do this in bulk?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you.
Dumb User

Re: Prefix ID3 Tags with Sequential Numbering

Postby Admin » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:39 pm

Hi, do you want to rename the file name or the ID3 tag? BRU can only change the file names.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dumb User » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:21 am

First of all, thank you for your reply.

Secondly, I mistakenly thought that I needed to modify the id3 tag for playback sequencing, but I accidently discovered that I really need to rename the file names, while experimenting with BRU.

Thirdly, I discovered the "numbering" option on the lower right side of utility page.

By specifying:

Mode ---> Prefix,
Start ---> 1,
Pad ---> 3,
Type ---> Base 10 (Decimal) options,
and pressing the Rename buttion...

I accomplished exactly what I wanted (i.e. all my file names are now preceded with a 3 digit sequence number beginning with 001).

Never having used BRU before, it took a little while to discover this option.

I just wanted to specify what worked for me, in case anyone else visiting this board wanted to deal with the alphabetical replay nonsense.

Great app, and free, also!

Many thanks.
Dumb User

Postby Admin » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:54 am

Yes, that will work, thanks!
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support