Corrupted BRU-starting screen

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Corrupted BRU-starting screen

Postby KHL » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:21 am

Hi Jim,

long time ago since my last post, isn't it?

Here's a new one:
Sometimes BRU starts with the following corrupted screen:

CtrlJ jumps to the desired path, but the settings boxes never appear w/o starting a new BRU session. I can't remember, whether it appears again after restart.
It happens seldomly, but since some previous versions and even with the actual version 2.4.0.0 and both at 2KSP4 and XPSP2.
The problem is that I can't tell you at which specific situation, as it really happens not very often.

If you need any assistance figuring this out (Beta-versions that log the number/name of processes actually running when failure occurs etc.), please let me know and I'll try to support as much as I can.

Thanks in advance
Karl-Heinz
KHL

Postby Admin » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:58 pm

Yeah, unfortunately you're not the only person to have reported this. Sadly, I can find no valid reason for this happening. There's some code in there to retain the screen position and size, and unfortunately with this style of application (MFC) this involves manually moving every field. That's why the screen flickers a lot when you resize the application, it's manually redrawing every control.

So...yes I know it happens (thought it hasn't happened to me), but no, I have no idea what's causing it or how to fix it.

Restarting it cures the problem, even though there's no settings whatsoever being changed.

Sorry.....

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Black_Mark » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:54 pm

I found what's causing it:

If you close BRU while it's minimized
then, the first time you restart it again, it's interface will surely appear corrupted!!!
Black_Mark

Postby KHL » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:18 pm

Interesting, Mark.
Haven't ever thought about that, but some tests revealed the same.

So I'm fairly sure Jim will fix this bug very soon.
KHL

Postby Admin » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:37 pm

I'm not sure it'll be fixed any time soon, as it's in a section of code whichI haven't touched for several years so I am not familiar with it.

At least you have a workaround (don't close when minimized!).

im
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support