Need to remove a space from lots of Files

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Need to remove a space from lots of Files

Postby bulkskijoe » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:33 am

OK, I give up. In Windows 8.1, I need to replace LOTS of files that have a space between the last character of the name and the dot before the extension: ex. “Filename .ext” to “Filename.ext”. Nothing I try seems to work with Repl.(3), and I’m not doing any better with RegEx(1). I’m using Bulk Rename Utility 64-bit (Unicode) 2.7.1.3.
Am I asking the right folks in the right forum?

Joe
bulkskijoe

Remove a space from end of file name (space-dot-extension)

Postby Stefan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:00 am

Hi Joe,

perhaps reading that

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2034

may help?

Stefan

Re: Need to remove a space from lots of Files

Postby bulkskijoe » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:14 pm

Stefan, thank you for the information. I am working on application of your recommendation, but do not have much spare time so it will be a slow process. To complicate matters, along with the file names with an extra space are the same file names without the space. In one of my attempts to use your recommendation, BRU would not change the name since it sees a file with the same name that it is attempting to create. I'll keep working on it and reply when I have something more to report.

Thanks again.

Joe
bulkskijoe

Re: Need to remove a space from lots of Files

Postby Stefan » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:22 am

bulkskijoe wrote:BRU would not change the name since it sees a file with the same name that it is attempting to create.

Maybe try reading the help file:

Help > Options Menu > Prevent Duplicates

This option allows to you to overcome the situation whereby a rename would fail because a file with the same name already exists.
If you try to rename a file, and there's already a file with the same name, the software will make up subsequent attempt to rename the file but with a "_1" suffix.
If this fails it will try with "_2" as the suffix, and will continue up to "_99".
The limit of 99, and the separator character (underscore, _) are currently fixed and cannot be changed.

Stefan

Return to BRU Support