Renaming from text file not working

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Renaming from text file not working

Postby MalcolmOgi » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:03 pm

I have created a text file using Excel as instructed in the Help file, but it is not working. I select the files for renaming, import the file with the old and new names separated by a pipe symbol, but the names in the new name column do not change, and nor do they when I go Ctrl-R - a window appears saying that two files are to be processed, but then says none require name changing. My text file reads thus:
27242 - IMTS-STA2-32.jpg|IMTS-STA2-32 - 27242.jpg
27242 - IMTS-STA2-33.jpg|IMTS-STA2-33 - 27242.jpg

I should add that this is just the first two entries of a file containing over 100 names. When that didn't work, I cut it down to just a couple to test with.

I'd be grateful for advice as to what I am doing wrong. Excel offers more than one ".txt" option when using "Save As", e.g. tab-delimited and Unicode, but neither work.
Thanks
Malcolm
MalcolmOgi

Re: Renaming from text file not working

Postby MalcolmOgi » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:48 am

I've solved the problem myself. I wondered whether the ' - ' in the file names was the problem and replaced them with a '#' which worked. This led me, after some trial and error, to discover that there were double-spaces in some of the file names. When I eliminated these, the problem went away. A single space is acceptable, a double space is not. Whether this is worth a note on the relevant page of the Help file, I leave to the program developer. Now I just need to remove the double spaces as I prepare the name change text file in Excel!
Malcolm
MalcolmOgi

Return to BRU Support