removing the dot

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

removing the dot

Postby mmai » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:02 pm

I have files that have an extra dot before the extension (e.g. mydoc..docx) and files that have double dots (my..doc.docx), and sometimes both (my..doc..docx).

I know these are of different natures but I am totally baffled at dealing with them.

Hod do I remove the extra dot?

Thanks a million!
mmai
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:57 pm

Re: removing the dot

Postby Admin » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:31 pm

Do you need to convert all double .. into a single . or just if it happens before the extension? thanks
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1467
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:39 pm

Re: removing the dot

Postby Admin » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:32 pm

Using Bulk Rename Command or Bulk Rename Utility?
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1467
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:39 pm

Re: removing the dot

Postby mmai » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:31 pm

Admin wrote:Do you need to convert all double .. into a single . or just if it happens before the extension? thanks


I need to do either or both, depending on the file.

Thanks.
mmai
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:57 pm

Re: removing the dot

Postby mmai » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:34 pm

Admin wrote:Using Bulk Rename Command or Bulk Rename Utility?


Of course, that what I am trying to do, thus I posted there.
mmai
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:57 pm

Re: removing the dot

Postby Admin » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:53 am

Hi, are you using the command line Bulk Rename Command or the GUI Bulk Rename Utility ? thanks

you mention 'depending on the file'. For which files you need to do what? thanks
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1467
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:39 pm

Re: removing the dot

Postby Stefan » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:17 am

mmai wrote:I have files that have an extra dot before the extension (e.g. mydoc..docx)
and files that have double dots (my..doc.docx), and sometimes both (my..doc..docx).
....


FROM:
mydoc1..docx
my..doc2.docx
my..doc3..docx


TO:
mydoc1.docx
my.doc2.docx
my.doc3.docx

TRY: (with Bulk Rename Utility - GUI)

1) Backup your files.

2) Check "Options > Ignore... > File Extensions"

3)
Repl.(3)
Replace: ..
With: .

4) Select the files and see if that works. If yes, rename.




HTH?
Stefan
 
Posts: 736
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:46 pm
Location: Germany, EU

Re: removing the dot

Postby mmai » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:13 pm

Stefan wrote:
mmai wrote:I have files that have an extra dot before the extension (e.g. mydoc..docx)
and files that have double dots (my..doc.docx), and sometimes both (my..doc..docx).
....


FROM:
mydoc1..docx
my..doc2.docx
my..doc3..docx


TO:
mydoc1.docx
my.doc2.docx
my.doc3.docx

TRY: (with Bulk Rename Utility - GUI)

1) Backup your files.

2) Check "Options > Ignore... > File Extensions"

3)
Repl.(3)
Replace: ..
With: .

4) Select the files and see if that works. If yes, rename.




HTH?



That did it. Ignoring the extension is the trick!

Thanks!
mmai
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:57 pm


Return to BRU Support