remove smart quotes, en dash, em dash, etc - ANSI / Unicode

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

remove smart quotes, en dash, em dash, etc - ANSI / Unicode

Postby ClearBlueSky85 » Mon May 02, 2016 9:01 pm

Is there an easy way to convert a bunch of ANSI symbols? This happens a lot when printing (save as) PDF from Google Chrome, where it will create filenames from website titles that have these ANSI / Unicode symbols such as smart quotes, etc...

The 'Remove (5)' 'Sym.' does not work, and the 'Remove (5)' 'High' does not work, which says that it removes high-ASCII characters (chars from 128 to 255)

I believe that the smart quotes, en dash, em dash characters are not part of ASCII, however they are listed as part of ANSI / Unicode character sets, as indicated here: http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~george/ansi_ascii_character_chart.html

I tried using Character Translations, however that did not recognize the ANSI character codes. The only way I have found so far is to copy and paste the characters in the 'Repl. (3)' dialog, however I have to do that for every character, so it's not very efficient. I would like to find a better way if possible.

I currently use AutoHotkey to make a script to accomplish some automation, although it doesn't always work that great. These are the character codes in particular I am looking to remove / replace:

Code: Select all
replace: Left Open Double Quotation Mark {U+201C} {ASC 0147}
replace: Right Close Double Quotation Mark {U+201D} {ASC 0148}
...with: Neutral Vertical Double Quotation Mark {U+0022} {ASC 0034}

replace: Left Open Single Quotation Mark {U+2018} {ASC 0145}
replace: Right Close Single Quotation Mark {U+2019} {ASC 0146}
...with: Neutral Vertical Apostrophe {U+0027} {ASC 0039}

replace: En Dash {U+2013} {ASC 0150}
replace: Em Dash {U+2014} {ASC 0151}
...with: Hyphen {U+2010} {ASC 0045}

Thanks.
ClearBlueSky85

Re: remove smart quotes, en dash, em dash, etc - ANSI / Unicode

Postby Admin » Wed May 04, 2016 12:59 am

Hi, one possibility is to use Javascript renaming....
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support