How do I hide file extensions?

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

How do I hide file extensions?

Postby gwt10 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:46 pm

Just recently upgraded to 3.0.0.1 and would like to hide the file extensions the same sort of way Windows does when you tick the system-wide hide file extension box.

That would also mean hiding the .(dot) before the three letter extension as well

I have the Options --> Ignore --> File Extensions option ticked under the Options menu but that didn't seem to help. In fact doing that doesn't seem to do anything at all. I still see the file extensions

Is there any other possible way to hide them in the main selection box?

Thanks
gwt10

Re: How do I hide file extensions?

Postby therube » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:43 pm

I don't know that you can?
(Extension is not a selectable column choice either.)

Why would you want to do that?

Certainly possible that some rename action will affect the extension, & I would think you would want to be aware of that fact.
therube

Postby gwt10 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:06 pm

therube wrote:I don't know that you can?
(Extension is not a selectable column choice either.)

Why would you want to do that?

Certainly possible that some rename action will affect the extension, & I would think you would want to be aware of that fact.

Certainly a Hide/Un-Hide option would be helpful for 11 The Extension section.

And it's precisely why I would want to hide it. So it WON'T be affected by the renaming the file name.

It's along the same principle as renaming a file in Windows Explorer that doesn't affect the extension if it's hidden under Explorer's Tools - Folder Options menu.

Do you know what I mean?
gwt10

Postby Admin » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:07 am

Hi, if you have the option:

Options --> Ignore --> File Extensions

The file extensions are still shown but they are considered as being part of the file name and the renaming.

The default is that this option is not activated. Which means the file extensions are not considered part of the file name and not changed unless you use Extension (11)
Admin
Site Admin

Postby gwt10 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:32 am

Admin wrote:Hi, if you have the option:

Options --> Ignore --> File Extensions

Yes, I already have that menu item ticked with a checkmark. Ticking or unticking it does not change anything. There is absolutely no difference. I could screw up the extension either way.

Admin wrote:The file extensions are still shown but they are considered as being part of the file name and the renaming.

And that's exactly what I don't want. I want them to be excluded from the file name and renaming. Just like Windows Explorer does when they're hidden.

Admin wrote:The default is that this option is not activated. Which means the file extensions are not considered part of the file name and not changed unless you use Extension (11)

That's not happening to me. The other day I accidentally deleted the file extensions and I have also accidentally deleted the .(dot) in front of the file extension as well. I just did it in the main window and I did not activate or touch the Extension (11) field at all.

I would think that if they were hidden they could also be made undetectable and unreadable as well.

Besides, why would you always show the extension in the first place? So anybody could have the ability to alter or delete the file extension, anyway? By doing so, you make the file unplayable. I would only do that by un-hiding the extensions through Windows Explorer in the extreme rare case where I would want to do that.
gwt10

Postby Admin » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:54 am

Hi, try it again, if Options --> Ignore --> File Extensions is NOT activated, then the file extensions are not changed during renaming. I just tried with BRU 3.0.0.1
Admin
Site Admin

Postby gwt10 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:49 pm

This is how I have it set

What's wrong with this picture?
gwt10

Postby Admin » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:00 pm

Ignore File Extensions and Ignore Folder Extensions should be unticked
Admin
Site Admin

Postby therube » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:31 pm

It's along the same principle as renaming a file in Windows Explorer that doesn't affect the extension if it's hidden under Explorer's Tools - Folder Options menu.

Neat, I never knew that.
(I ALWAYS show file extensions.)

I would have thought that if you changed the file "abc.mp3" through Windows Explorer, with extensions hidden, such that the file shows as "abc", & "appended" .xxx to it, the file would be renamed to "abc.mp3.xxx", but that is not the case. The file is renamed as "abc.xxx.mp3" with the existing extension being unchanged.

(And [now] knowing that, you would think that if extensions are hidden, they might give you something like a Shift-F2, rename option, that toggles the state of "hidden" so that you could change a file's extension without needing to specifically make changes in Folder Options first.)
Last edited by therube on Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
therube

Postby therube » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:40 pm

Ignore File Extensions and Ignore Folder Extensions should be unticked

That is not clear.
You would think that checking the option would "ignore", exclude file extensions.

Maybe instead of saying "Ignore File Extensions" it might say "Include File Extensions in renaming operations".

That way you say (to yourself), oh, I specifically want file extensions (to be included), I better check that option so that they are.

Ignore > File Extensions

With this option selected, any file name extensions will be ignored, and your operations will affect the entire file name. Use this option with great care, as Windows relies on the file name extension to decide what to do with a file.

To me its kind of like a double-negative.
therube

Postby therube » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:47 pm

Or maybe more simply just change the Renaming Options menu item to read "Include" instead of "Ignore".

That way it would read, "Include" -> "File Extensions", & that would be more clear.

Likewise in the Help:

Include > File Extensions

With this option selected, any file name extensions will be Included, and your operations will affect the entire file name [including extension]. Use this option with great care, as Windows relies on the file name extension to decide what to do with a file.

To me that seems more logical, the change is straight forward, & use of the program is unaffected (i.e., those who specifically checked the option to "ignore" aka "include" [now that is confusing isn't it] extensions, still have the option selected), only the terminology is changed, clearer.
therube

Postby gwt10 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:32 pm

I've always hidden the file extensions since way back to XP days. It's too easy to screw a file up when renaming (or modifying) it to something else if it's shown. Especially if it's a whole bunch of files you're looking at in a folder.

If it's hidden in Windows Explorer, the extension also can't be altered. Plus it makes the file names look less cluttered and smoother without seeing the ugly 3-letter extension sticking on the end.

You'll still see what kind of file extension the file has when you highlight the file with your mouse and see it's description on the status bar at the bottom of the Windows Explorer page you're looking at, so you'll still always know what kind of file it is, even without having to actually see it's extension in the file name itself. Give it a try.

And yes, I agree with you about Bulk Rename's confusing menu selection for this particular case. It really isn't too clear whether to have those menu selections ticked or not.

_
gwt10

Postby Admin » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:46 pm

Yes, this option it has been called like this historically but it is confusing and double negative.
Better would be to call it 'Include File Extensions in all renaming operations' and have it set to NO by default.
We will do this for next release.
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support