Bulk Rename Here Extension Wrong Folder

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Bulk Rename Here Extension Wrong Folder

Postby blm2hb » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:14 pm

Hello,
I've installed Bulk Rename 3.0.0.1 on a new laptop with Windows 10 Pro. One feature I frequently use is the Bulk Rename Here extension that comes up when I right click on a folder or file in Windows Explorer. Rather than selecting the folder I right click on it opens the next higher folder above it. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, installing the older 2.7.1.3 version, and nothing seems to help. It doesn't do this on my old Windows 7 machine. Any ideas how to get it to open the correct folder?
blm2hb

Re: Bulk Rename Here Extension Wrong Folder

Postby therube » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:59 pm

Does it happen for all folders?
Only folders with spaces in the names?

I totally don't know if this is correct (& I know nothing of Win10), but ...

Open Regedit.exe
Go down to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\BRUfile\shell\open\command

Modify the value of (Default)
---To: {directory path}\Bulk Rename Utility.exe" "%L%"

If that gets it working, then most likely its an error in the installer script.

Appears that isn't going to make a difference, but it can't hurt to try (& I have no Win10 to test with)?

Otherwise, perhaps its a permissions issue with the particular directory you're trying to access?
therube

Postby blm2hb » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:19 am

Thank you for the suggestion therube. It happens with any folder I select both with and without spaces in the folder name. I looked for the BRUfile registry key mentioned but there was no "\shell\open\command" line to modify so I couldn't try it. There must be some other location to set the shell extension but I don't know where that is.
blm2hb

Postby blm2hb » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:19 am

As a followup to my previous question and comments. I've got BulkRenameHere working correctly now and opening up the correct folder when right clicking. I found out it It was just on my machine and worked fine on other Win10 machines. Unfortunately I can't tell how I corrected it because I played with so many settings and did a lot of restarts. I did find the registry key that was mentioned previously and tried making the changes suggested, but they had no effect.

One possibility is that prior to installing BulkRename I had changed the target folder and set some switches in the File Explorer properties dialog to get it to open in a custom folder when it started up. I reset these settings back to the default ones which may have affected something. Hopefully no one else has this problem.
blm2hb

Return to BRU Support