Unicode Character Translation

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Unicode Character Translation

Postby gotmatt » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:14 pm

Hi all,

I work with translated documents in about 33 languages. To help native speakers of those languages, I want to convert the respective filenames to their language. Here's an example for Russian:
"Document (JA)" --> "?? (JA)"

I the filenames of those translated documents reliable show the English title paired with the language code ((JA), (RU), (ZH), etc.) in the filenames, so I've worked out a scheme in the Character Translations tool:
D,o,c,u,m,e,n,t, ,(,J,A,)=?,?, ,(,J,A,)

This works when I paste the translation list from a Unicode txt file into the Character Translations list. When I save the .BRU configuration and close, it replaces all Unicode characters with "?". This is a problem for languages like Japanese and Chinese, where 2- and 3-digit hex codes don't exist. For the Japanese string above, I'd need to use decimal values "資" and "料", or hex values "資" and "料". I tried entering these anyways, just to see if they might work, but the Character Translation list does not seem to identify anything past 3 digits.

Is there something I'm missing, or is this just not a functional use case for this tool? I'm not well versed on Hex and Unicode, so I'm also wondering if I've missed some alternative encoding that BRU would support.

At the end of the day, this does seem to work if you always past the character translations into the tool's list, but I'd like to save that step if at all possible by saving it in the .BRU config, which works in all other cases.

Thanks!
gotmatt

Return to BRU Support