Date folder names, rename pics from the same second.

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Date folder names, rename pics from the same second.

Postby someoneabc » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:43 pm

Two things I need help with:

1. Most important, I have many pictures from the same second, and I want to add a '(1)', '(2)', etc...or another format...any way to do this <em>without</em> adding numbering to all the pics??

2. Also, I want to sort the pics into folders, for example, 042007, 052007, etc., or...200704, 200705, etc. Any way to do this??

And thanks for all your great work on this program! :)
someoneabc

Postby Admin » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:40 am

1. Most important, I have many pictures from the same second, and I want to add a '(1)', '(2)', etc...or another format...any way to do this <em>without</em> adding numbering to all the pics??

I don't really see how you could do this - but I'm not sure I understand. You want to add (1) (2) etc but without adding numbering - what's (1) (2) etc if it's not numbering? Can you clarify what you mean please?

You might have difficulty though. If you are relying on the Exif "date taken" flag then Exif only stores to a one second resolution. Therefore all the pictures you take within the same second cannot be sorted accurately. If your filesystem allows you to rely on the "date created" or "date modified" time that will probably work, as that is stored to a better accuracy (by Windows).

2. Also, I want to sort the pics into folders, for example, 042007, 052007, etc., or...200704, 200705, etc. Any way to do this??

Not really. BRU is a renaming utility, not an organiser. It does have the facility to move files to a different folder but it's a hard-and-fast rule, there's to way to move files based upon their names.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby someoneabc » Fri May 11, 2007 3:21 pm

Not really. BRU is a renaming utility, not an organiser. It does have the facility to move files to a different folder but it's a hard-and-fast rule, there's to way to move files based upon their names.

That's fine, I didn't need that too much anyway.

I don't really see how you could do this - but I'm not sure I understand. You want to add (1) (2) etc but without adding numbering - what's (1) (2) etc if it's not numbering? Can you clarify what you mean please?

You might have difficulty though. If you are relying on the Exif "date taken" flag then Exif only stores to a one second resolution. Therefore all the pictures you take within the same second cannot be sorted accurately. If your filesystem allows you to rely on the "date created" or "date modified" time that will probably work, as that is stored to a better accuracy (by Windows).

This is what I mean...I have 'burst mode' on my camera that takes multiple pics in the same second. The exif data shows them from the same second, true. So, when I preview the format in BRU, I see several files with the exact same name, which would be a big problem...see what I mean now?? So, I want to number only the pics from the same second, and start at (1) each time!

And thanks for your answer, sorry for taking so long to respond to it.
someoneabc

Postby jarhtmd » Tue May 29, 2007 1:21 am

[quote=This is what I mean...I have 'burst mode' on my camera that takes multiple pics in the same second. The exif data shows them from the same second, true. So, when I preview the format in BRU, I see several files with the exact same name, which would be a big problem...see what I mean now?? So, I want to number only the pics from the same second, and start at (1) each time![/quote]

I have the same 'burst mode' problem, as well as merging (into time sequence) images from 2 cameras used in the same shoot. I use multiple passes of BRU to arrive at my "final" filename format of "2007-1234-xx description". Maybe it could be done in 1 pass, but I'm extra careful with my image files.

1. Add a Prefix of Date-Taken, followed immediately by a sequence number.
2. Sort file list (I close folder & reopen - not sure if "reset" will do this). Files are now in the correct "Taken" sequence; including within the same second. The sequence within same second might be 023,024,025,...,055,056,057,etc; not 001,002,003,001,002,003,etc which is what I'd prefer too, but . . .
3. Add a Prefix (including sequence numbers) remove all "Date-Taken" data from filenames.

This works well for me.
jarhtmd

Return to BRU Support