Setting a default start point

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Setting a default start point

Postby biglizard » Tue May 22, 2007 3:17 pm

I have just bought a new pc with 64 bit vista on it and I am currently trying to set all of my software up etc.

I've come to setup BRU and I can't get it to recognise my default start point when opening up BRU, it always default to the root of my drive and not my specific start folder.

I've compared all of my settings to my old pc and saved a BRU favourites.bru file but it doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas please.

Thanks Gav
biglizard

Postby biglizard » Tue May 22, 2007 3:18 pm

As an extra to the above. It doesn't seem to be saving any of my default settings. i,e: "Auot select entries", and turning off the warning messages.

Thanks
biglizard

Postby Admin » Tue May 22, 2007 3:46 pm

All these entries are stored in the .INI file that BRU creates when it runs for the first time. So it sounds like you haven't got the right permissions to create it. Is UAC enabled?

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby biglizard » Tue May 22, 2007 4:10 pm

Hi Jim,

Yeah I think it must be on. I'm very new to Vista so if this is a default setting then it will certainly be set because I havent had a play around with it yet but merely wanted to set my machine up with the important bits of software. Of which BRU is definately one of them.

Do I need to turn this feature off then?
biglizard

Postby Admin » Tue May 22, 2007 4:13 pm

Whether you leave UAC on, or turn it off, is a hotly-debated subject on the web. Whilst I cannot recommend that you turn it off, what I will say is that it's *the* first thing I disable with a new install! Microsoft called it Universal Access Control, they would have been better to call it a Productivity Inhibitor!

It might be worthwhile running BRU in admin mode(right-click, run-as). Having said that, I cannot think of any reason why BRU would require admin rights!

I have UAC disabled, and I run on Vista x64 without this issue.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby biglizard » Tue May 22, 2007 4:21 pm

Hi Jim,

I turned that off and it now works and remembers all of my settings. Thanks for your help, first class as always.

Cheers
Gav
biglizard

Postby Admin » Tue May 22, 2007 4:25 pm

I'm glad it works, but I'm still confused as to why BRU requires it - my code never even attempts any priviledged operations etc.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby biglizard » Tue May 22, 2007 4:27 pm

Yeah it does seem a bit odd. I just wanted to get it setup properly before I have a proper play around.

Once I've done that if I find any other info that may help in the future I'll post back here.

Thanks again
Gav
biglizard

Return to BRU Support