Strange Behaviour With Vista

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Strange Behaviour With Vista

Postby MadScot » Thu May 31, 2007 12:46 am

I'm not convinced this is a BRU bug, but maybe someone else has seen the same behaviour and can tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Using BRU 2.5.4.0 with Vista Home Premium; pretty much brand new Dell. Used to use BRU on my old XP machine before it died, so I think I know what *should* happen. But here's the problem.

All of the pre-existing folders under the <user> folder seem to work fine - I can select them in the tree on the left, and the files show up. Folders created under those folders (e.g. <user>/Pictures/<name> )work too.

BUT if I create a NEW folder under the main <user> folder - nothing! The RH window stays blank. Right-click on the folder name in the tree lets me use the 'explore' function fine, but nothing seems to enable BRU's RH window.

It works ok with folders on different drives, or in the 'non-personal' C drive folders. (Program Files, etc.) It's as if there's something 'special' about the <user> folder that is foiling BRU.

Anyone else seen this? It's quite annoying.

edit

further exploring shows that if I expose system files, I can make it work under the C:/users/<user> folder path, but still not under the path MS wants me to use. Some kind of strange shortcut nonsense going on?
MadScot

Postby Admin » Thu May 31, 2007 9:34 am

Vista does some whacky things with permissions and folders, and the whole USERS versus DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS issue is also strange.

Do you have UAC enabled or disabled?

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby MadScot » Thu May 31, 2007 11:44 am

UAC enabled. I can check with UAC disabled later.
MadScot

Postby MadScot » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:44 pm

Same behaviour with UAC disabled; still can't see the files. How odd.
MadScot

Same problem as I posted as "anyone running vista"

Postby fwf » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:33 pm

I created 2 new folders under "user": one for music & one for pictures. I can see & use BRU on the music folder but not the pictures. The pictures subfolders are displayed in the left window but when you select one of the subfolders, nothing (the file names) is displayed in the right window. :cry:
fwf

Postby jlp » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:08 am

I'm also seeing this behavior with Vista; the preexisting folders under C:\Users\Whoever show up fine in BRU, but the files in folders I create, even system generated ones like AppData, won't list in the file pane. It is possible, however, to drag and drop files from the affected folders into BRU, and rename them that way.
jlp

Postby fwf » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:08 am

UPDATE: My PC is part of a home network. I have discovered if I select the PC user files using the Network folder, BRU sees the files(???)
fwf

Postby Admin » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:54 am

Do you have UAC enabled or disabled? I'm running with UAC disabled and they all show up fine. See

Jim
Last edited by Admin on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby fwf » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:58 pm

UAC is disabled.
fwf

Postby Admin » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:05 pm

In which case I'm afraid I cannot offer any suggestions. You're running the same configuration as me, and as I can't recreate the problem it makes it hard to debug.

Not sure what to suggest.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby MadScot » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:05 pm

fwf wrote:UPDATE: My PC is part of a home network. I have discovered if I select the PC user files using the Network folder, BRU sees the files(???)

I think that's a similar symptom to my being able to see the files if I enable viewing "protected system files" in which case I *CAN* see the folder contents if I go through OS/Users/<username> - which I suspect is the 'real' location of the files, but can't see them through the 'normal' <usernam> folder tree.

Tis very odd.
MadScot

Postby jlp » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:29 am

Okay, I am running with UAC, and if I run BRU with "Run as Administrator", the files will list in the pane. So, it would appear to have something to do with folder privileges. I just can't figure out what, since the folders that do work, and the folders that don't, appear to have identical security settings.

EDIT: And you're right, MadScot, if, as a normal user, I navigate to the folder in BRU's folder tree by going through 'Computer->C:\->Users->Name->Folder', the files will list, without changing any other settings. In fact, since that's what I have to do to get to the folders in my directory when running as admin, that seems to be the better lead than the security settings.
jlp

Return to BRU Support